none
Mobile Reports for Public Website RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am looking at designing a Mobile report and integrating it into a customer facing website that is written ASP.NET MVC.  The customer logs in with an email address that is stored in a SQL database and associated with 1 or more Customer ID's via a Parent Child Relationship.  The data source for the report pulls from a reporting database that contains all of our customer data so I only need to load the dashboard data for the specific customer logging in.  Is this possible to do and lock down the dashboard so the customer cannot change and view others customer data?

Thanks

Friday, July 19, 2019 4:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Phill D

As far as I know , the mobile report seems do not able to echo the current user information.

It works fine in the ssrs report , there exist the user!userid global variable in the report to show the custom user ,and it was not easy to modified .

If possible you could try to store your current username in the session and then pass the username in the session to the correspond shared dataset .

(dataset return the filtered data based on the current user , seems when you get data from the shared dataset , it need you offer the correspond username and pass word .  )

You could also try to use the power bi dashboard and then test if it works fine or not .

Hope it can help you.

Best Regards,

Eric Liu

Best Regards, Eric Liu MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer if the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Monday, July 22, 2019 2:09 AM
  • Thanks, that may actually work because the usernames and customer associations are stored in a database so I should be able to join the tables and pass in the username into the WHERE Clause to limit the data.

I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks.

Monday, July 22, 2019 3:30 PM
  • Hi

Hoping for your reply.

Best Regards,

Eric Liu

Best Regards, Eric Liu MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer if the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 1:48 AM
  • It looks like there are other problems that are going to prevent this functionality from working.

I was hoping to load the dashboard into my MVC site via the report viewer control within MVC however, Mobile reports are not compatible with being loaded that way.  You can use an IFrame to load the Mobile report within the site however, I would have to permit the internet to directly access the SSRS site and that's not something I am willing to do.

When loading paginated reports via the Report Viewer Control, IIS will get the report and render it as part of the server side processing so that the external/Public/WAN user doesn't have any direct access to the SSRS site/server, however, with Mobile reports, they weren't built with this capability in-mind making them unsuitable for external use.

It's a huge let-down because the power of Mobile reports are obvious and it seems like an obvious choice to try and leverage their functionality for your customer facing products however, because of the restriction above, it doesn't seem feasible to use them in this manner.  I know mobile reports were originally written by DataZen abd purchased by Microsoft but, it's was 4 years ago and MS should have fully integrated their functionality into SQL by now and allow them to work the same way as paginated reports.  It's very disappointing.

• Edited by Phill D Wednesday, July 24, 2019 9:23 PM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 8:11 PM
  • Hi

Seems it was the limit of ssrs mobile report  ,you could try to post your suggestion at https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server.

If the requirement mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add this feature in the next SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided. 

We need your voice.

Thanks for your support and understanding .

Best Regards,

Eric Liu

Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:39 AM