none
Power BI RS data refresh problems RRS feed

• Question

• We are having some problems with automating data refreshes for a PowerBI report in the latest PBIRS, where the data rolls back to the date when the report was deployed onto the server, rather than showing the refreshed data.

We have deployed the report, and created a subscription to refresh the data.  The schedule settings are set a "run once" so that the report does not auto refresh.

We then added a task to our automated process to execute this report.  We have tried using msdb..sp_start_job to execute the agent task, as well as SSRS.dbo.AddEvent @EventType='DataModelRefresh', @EventData='*****'.
    Both of these methods work in refeshing the data in the report, and when we check in CatalogItemExtendedContent, the DataModel content is showing a modified date of the refresh.  We have opened the report just after the execute and seen that the data is refreshed, and showing the latest data.

BUT, a short while later when we open the report in the SSRS portal, the data shown has rolled back to show the data as it was when the report was deployed.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour or found a way to stop it?

Friday, December 22, 2017 12:36 PM

Answers

• The issue appears to be with the Model Expiation setting: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/scheduled-refresh-troubleshoot

This is defaulted to 60 minutes, by setting that out to a large number it solves the problem.  

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:21 PM

All replies

• Have you set any caching/snapshots in the SSRS portal?

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Friday, December 22, 2017 12:38 PM
  • Nope, it was a new install, new DB with just some PBI reports deployed.
    Friday, December 22, 2017 1:26 PM
  • Hi,

It seems the report file deployed will automatically rollback the data according to your description. There are four types of refresh, which are Package refresh, Model refresh, Tile refresh, Visual container refresh, how about switch to another type? See Data refresh in Power BI

Also, have you tried to redeploy the report to Power BI Service Portal? 

Best Regards,

Henry 

Monday, December 25, 2017 2:11 AM
  • The issue appears to be with the Model Expiation setting: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/scheduled-refresh-troubleshoot

This is defaulted to 60 minutes, by setting that out to a large number it solves the problem.  

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:21 PM