'Application definition contains critical errors' after dropping columns from table RRS feed

• Question

• I ran into a problem after dropping a few columns from an SQL Server table and running Update Datasource. There was an error message during update, something about not being able to enumerate and the project will not compile any more:

------ Rebuild All started: Project: EtogenQMSApp.Server, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\v4.0\Microsoft.LightSwitch.Build.Tasks.targets(168,5): error : Application definition contains critical errors.

------ Rebuild All started: Project: EtogenQMSApp.DesktopClient, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\v4.0\Microsoft.LightSwitch.Build.Tasks.targets(217,5): error : Application definition contains critical errors.

------ Rebuild All started: Project: EtogenQMSApp, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\v4.0\Microsoft.LightSwitch.targets(103,9): error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "E:\Projects\Active\EtogenQMSApp - Attempt To Restore\EtogenQMSApp.Server\obj\Release\Application.Server.dll" because it was not found.

Done building project "EtogenQMSApp.lsxproj" -- FAILED.

One of the columns that was dropped was a collection. Here is one of the the offending sections. LSSvcGeneratorsTask is underlined and when I hover over it the message is 'The element 'Target' in namespace ... has invalid child element LSSvcGeneratorsTask in namespace....

<LSSvcGeneratorsTask Inputs="@(LightSwitchModel)"
                             IsRebuild="$(LSCodeGenFromRebuild)"
                             IsBuildingInsideVisualStudio="$(BuildingInsideVisualStudio)"
                             LightSwitchProjectType="$(LightSwitchProjectTypeV3)"
                             LightSwitchProjectSubType="$(LightSwitchProjectSubType)"
                             ProjectPath="$(MSBuildProjectFullPath)"
                             ProjectOutputPath="$(OutDir)"
                             ProjectGuid="$(ProjectGuid)"
                             ExternalDataSources="@(ServerExternalDataSources)">

Unfortunately I didn't setup source control before the crash (I have now) but I am hoping it might be something simple that could fix this error.

I have tried to remove all changed tables from data sources and remove all screens that reference those but I still get same error message.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Alex Okun

• Edited by Alex Okun Saturday, June 7, 2014 5:56 AM
    Saturday, June 7, 2014 5:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Alex,

I think you need collect some information, we will determine the source of those kinds of errors you may encounter. It will give us more hints why this happens.

Reference:

How to Get a Stack Trace in LightSwitch

Regards

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 16, 2014 5:47 AM
  • Hi Angie,

I get multiple exception during compilation when I do a stack trace on devenv.exe but it's hard to figure out which one is relevant. Would it be possible to zip up the broken project and email it to you? It connects to a SQL server database that I could make a back up of, it's not that big. I am not sure it even needs to see the database during compilation process.

Best,

Alex

• Edited by Alex Okun Thursday, June 26, 2014 11:00 PM
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 11:00 PM