none
Use SSIS 2012 but not MS Sql 2012 db RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,  Our group wants to use SSIS 2012 but stay on MS Sql 2008 for database.  I am very confident I could use the  Sql Server 2012 Developer copy I bought from amazon to run ssis 2012 on my laptop and access our ms sql 2008 databases.   But when I had a job finished and wanted to put in in production, we generally run ssis on the servers that our database machines are on.   So here are some questions:

- Can you install just the dtexec part of ssis 2012 without the rest of ssis on a server?

- Does installing ssis 2012 on a server require that the ms sql 2012 database be there so ssis 2012 can save objects somewhere?

- can ms sql 2012 database and ms sql 2008 database run on the same server at the same time?

- If all I wanted to install was ssis 2012 on the server,  would I have to buy a full ms sql 2012 db license to be able to do that?

Thanks.  ssis 2008 is running into problems of drivers for Oracle and all the 32 and 64 bit stuff.  It would really be nice to just start clean with ssis 2012.

Monday, February 3, 2014 7:33 PM

Answers

• >- Can you install just the dtexec part of ssis 2012 without the rest of ssis on a server?

No. You get dtexec by installing SSIS.

>Does installing ssis 2012 on a server require that the ms sql 2012 database be there so ssis 2012 can save objects somewhere?

Yes, but you should also install a DbEngine instance to host the SSIS Catalog.

> can ms sql 2012 database and ms sql 2008 database run on the same server at the same time?

Yes, that's supported.

> If all I wanted to install was ssis 2012 on the server,  would I have to buy a full ms sql 2012 db license to be able to do that?

It would be considered an upgrade to SQL Server 2012, then running SQL Server 2008 via downgrade rights.  Whether that requires a new license depends on whether you have upgrade rights on that server.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

• Marked as answer by etlman Monday, February 3, 2014 9:44 PM
    Monday, February 3, 2014 8:36 PM

All replies

• >- Can you install just the dtexec part of ssis 2012 without the rest of ssis on a server?

No. You get dtexec by installing SSIS.

>Does installing ssis 2012 on a server require that the ms sql 2012 database be there so ssis 2012 can save objects somewhere?

Yes, but you should also install a DbEngine instance to host the SSIS Catalog.

> can ms sql 2012 database and ms sql 2008 database run on the same server at the same time?

Yes, that's supported.

> If all I wanted to install was ssis 2012 on the server,  would I have to buy a full ms sql 2012 db license to be able to do that?

It would be considered an upgrade to SQL Server 2012, then running SQL Server 2008 via downgrade rights.  Whether that requires a new license depends on whether you have upgrade rights on that server.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

• Marked as answer by etlman Monday, February 3, 2014 9:44 PM
    Monday, February 3, 2014 8:36 PM
  • David,   Thanks.   Funny, you work with this stuff but don't install it every day so it helps to get advice like this. 
    Monday, February 3, 2014 9:44 PM
  • I have a similar question. We are not moving to sql server 2012 for some time. Can I install SSIS 2012 and use sql server 2008 R2 instance for the SSIS catalog?

I understand from another document that I will not be able to store 2012 packages in a 2008 database, but I'm unsure of what other limitations there may be.

Monday, March 10, 2014 8:27 PM
  • I have a similar question. We are not moving to sql server 2012 for some time. Can I install SSIS 2012 and use sql server 2008 R2 instance for the SSIS catalog?

I understand from another document that I will not be able to store 2012 packages in a 2008 database, but I'm unsure of what other limitations there may be.

you need a sql 2012 database... But you could install it only for the SSISDB and use 2008 for all other things.

Please mark the post as answered if it answers your question | My SSIS Blog: http://microsoft-ssis.blogspot.com | Twitter

Monday, March 10, 2014 8:37 PM
  • OK, that would be ideal. But I don't think I would be permitted to have sql server 2012 running even for just SSIS use.

The reason I'm asking is it appears in this MS doc that you can do an upgrade of SSIS to 2012 and not the database, but it does not mention what limitations would result to being able to install an SSIS catalog.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc879336.aspx

"If you upgrade only Integration Services, SQL Server 2012 Integration Services (SSIS) is fully functional, but can only store packages in the file system, unless an instance of the SQL Server 2012 Database Engine is available on another computer."

Monday, March 10, 2014 8:46 PM
  • I guess the reason I asked this question was that I got a $50 copy of SQL Developer 2012 using SSIS 2012 against the database on a personal Windows 8 Pro machine very well and very quickly.   I was convinced that if my machine was on a network with an MS Sql 2008 R2 database available, I could read that quite easily (maybe I'm wrong).  So why develop a bunch of SSIS 2008 jobs only to have to convert them later, plus you get the new features of SSIS 2012?  But the server end which is where most professional shops run, is more difficult.  And now SSISJoost has me wondering what really runs where.   I guess SSIS really stores a bunch of stuff in the DB even though the DTExec job seems pretty portable between machines.  I don't think of a client version of SSIS as needing much database but maybe it does.  What became clear to me is you would have to buy the full MS Sql 2012 to get SSIS 2012.   So your boss has to be willing to sign off on a roughly 5k purchase (I think that's a fair representation of what MS Sql for a server sized machine would cost) per server machine so you can develop on SSIS 2012.    For our shop running 2008 and 2012 DB on the same machine wouldn't be a show stopping issue.  We just wouldn't use the MS Sql 2012 for our data right away.

• Edited by etlman Monday, March 10, 2014 9:35 PM
    Monday, March 10, 2014 9:28 PM
  • the SSIS 2012 Console (SSISDB or whatever name you want to give it) is necessary for a lot of new SSIS 2012 features. So to take advantage of the new logging features for example, you have to have a DB, where in the past SSIS could run without the need for a DB.

It just isn't clear to me if you can use a sql server 2008 instance or not for the SSIS 2012 console.

Monday, March 10, 2014 10:12 PM
  • Jim,   Thanks, that makes it clearer.   When I looked at SSIS 2008 I didn't see a lot of database links for its infrastructure purposes.  And most people reduce their job to a dtexec and run it with whatever job scheduling system they have.  So that seems pretty independent.
    Monday, March 10, 2014 10:26 PM
  • Yes, independence I get... but I want to use the features provided by the SSIS 2012 console/database. There are some really great features to take advantage of. Consequently, I'm not looking to avoid database use, rather, the question is can I use sql server 2008 (and not 2012) as the instance for the console?

The doc I listed above seems to imply you can with the one restriction of not loading packages into the 2008 instance. Which I don't care about. But I do want to use all the other features of the console... installed a sql server 2008 instance.

Monday, March 10, 2014 10:45 PM
  • Jim,  I don't know if you had a chance to use SSIS 2012 this way yet but let me ask.   It seems like with this Console database, your dtexec job that you moved 6 servers to the left to run on would have to have some pointer to the database where the Console features got stored.  Kind of like a connection string but pointing to the infrastructure/compiler database.   Have you seen anything like that?
    • Edited by etlman Monday, March 10, 2014 11:26 PM
    Monday, March 10, 2014 11:23 PM
  • No, I haven't used 2012 enough yet.

I'm going to move forward with just using 2008. I can't get enough information on installing the 2012 SSIS console into sql server 2008 instance. The little feedback I got from several sources appears that it would be a dubious effort.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:31 PM