none
Sql Server agent - Job Schedule RRS feed

• Question

• I have set up few jobs in my Sql server to run periodically with my login credentials. If I change my windows password the job failed as the credentials was not updated with my new password.

Please suggest how to be independent of the change in my password for the jobs to not fail by this condition.

• Edited by VPalyam Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:21 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:03 PM

Answers

• Jobs should be run under a service account specific for this purpose which does not change password often, not a user account.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:43 PM
  • Any time the password for a service account changes, any services configured to run under that account will need their credentials updated (new password entered). This is true for windows services, SQL agent credentials, IIS app pools, anything. Without this the service will not startup next time it stops/recycles, and will cease to be able to access external resources that require the service to authenticate.

If instead you use the Network Service account, you never need worry about this. Of course, this is only applicable in cases where the identity of an individual application on a server is synonymous with the application itself (eg: if your app is the only thing running on a specific server there really is no downside).

Ali Hamdar (alihamdar.com - www.ids.com.lb)

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:47 PM

All replies

• Jobs should be run under a service account specific for this purpose which does not change password often, not a user account.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:43 PM
  • Any time the password for a service account changes, any services configured to run under that account will need their credentials updated (new password entered). This is true for windows services, SQL agent credentials, IIS app pools, anything. Without this the service will not startup next time it stops/recycles, and will cease to be able to access external resources that require the service to authenticate.

If instead you use the Network Service account, you never need worry about this. Of course, this is only applicable in cases where the identity of an individual application on a server is synonymous with the application itself (eg: if your app is the only thing running on a specific server there really is no downside).

Ali Hamdar (alihamdar.com - www.ids.com.lb)

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:47 PM
  • You can change the job owner to sa and run the jobs under the sa account.

Thanks & Regards RAJUKIRAN L Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers.

Friday, April 26, 2013 3:18 AM
  • It's Better not to use User Login when running the job, create a specific windows account with least permission and set password not expired for that account.
    Friday, April 26, 2013 3:26 AM
  • Create a Service account and run all the job using the service account credentials in windows scheduler/SQL Agent, this is best practice recommended  

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers. Thanks!

Friday, April 26, 2013 5:38 AM
  • changing the password wil not effect the job execution.

it is advisec to have a proxy account to run the jobs instead os using a same user name

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Friday, April 26, 2013 5:44 AM
  • I have set up few jobs in my Sql server to run periodically with my login credentials. If I change my windows password the job failed as the credentials was not updated with my new password.

Please suggest how to be independent of the change in my password for the jobs to not fail by this condition.

can you please share the error information from the job history..

Thanks, Rama Udaya.K (http://rama38udaya.wordpress.com) ---------------------------------------- Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and UN-mark them if they provide no help,Vote if they gives you information.

Friday, April 26, 2013 6:12 AM