none
Are the Mobile Reports only intended for internal (LAN) use/users? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are trying to design a extranet site for our customers by utilizing the dashboard technology in SQL 2016 Mobile Reports.  Unfortunatley, I am being told the only way to grant external (WAN) user access to the Mobile reports is to expose the main web portal to WAN traffic/users.  I don't want to do that because I'd like to use the server to host internal and external content (to save me having to purchase another 30K license and setup another beefy server).

The current extranet site is written as an MVC application and use the report viewer to load existing paginated (non Mobile) reports from SQL server 2016.  We would like to use the same method/control to load the Mobile Reports but we have been told it's not compatible.

Is there another way to load mobile reports into an MVC based website without exposing the server directly to WAN traffic/users?  In reality, I can't see how allowing external wan users direct access to the SSRS 2016 web portal is a good idea!  It would allow them far too much freedom to the server structure and expose our company to a ton of potential security threats and attacks.  Also, the users would be able to browse the entire site and potentially access/view folders and reports that are not applicable to them.  It seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Can anyone assist with this?

Thursday, October 6, 2016 4:39 PM

All replies

• Friday surfer crowd??
    Friday, October 7, 2016 9:15 PM
  • Bumping, this has to be a valid question.
    Monday, October 10, 2016 12:21 PM
  • Hi Phill,

That is correct, you can't use the report viewer control to expose Mobile Reports.  You can expose Mobile Reports via embedding using the rsembed=true pattern discussed in our blog for RC1 -

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2016/03/18/sql-server-2016-rc1-whats-new-in-reporting-services/

You could potentially use something like what Jaime describes here to expose the reports to the internet in a way that doesn't force you to put something into the DMZ - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/jtarquino/2016/07/04/accessing-sql-server-reporting-services-mobile-reports-with-the-power-bi-app-from-the-internet-using-active-directory-application-proxy/

The Web Application Proxy functionality of Windows Server would give you similar options as well if your use case is specific to a web browser.

Thanks,

Chris

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 11:56 PM
  • Chris,

I looked at both articles and neither is a suitable option for presenting the reports to our business customers.

For all the hype surrounding this product, I am extremely disappointed in it's current functionality and the lack of documentation regarding the products level of stability and readiness for business use.

I feel the documentation should clearly reflect that Mobile Reports is an internal application only as it would steer customers away from purchasing SQL Enterprise solely for the purposes of presenting Mobile Reports to it's customers.  Right now, I have a $30,000 mistake on my hands.

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 12:12 PM
  • Chris,

I'd also like to point out that the very purpose of the Mobile reports platform is to be a mobile friendly version of Paginated reports however, by admission, the Mobile Reports are not a suitable replacement because they cannot be used in the same way as the paginated reports.  Again, no where does it state this in your documentation.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 12:19 PM