none
Migration SSIS packages With Scripting for custom Excel coding - needing Excel COM object RRS feed

• Question

• Fellow SSISers.

We are migrating our SQL2008 SSIS packages over to SQL 2016. This is on a new VM. The old VM had Excel 2007.

The old packages use Scripting to do some custom Excel processing thru Interop. Has worked flawlessly for years.

As these packages get migrated, the new box is going to need the Excel COM object to do the same thing.  This new box is not going to have internet access.  With that said, I was determining what we need to install for Excel: Office 365 Pro Plus or Office 2016 Pro.  It is my "best guess" that since this vm will not have internet access, Office 365 would probably crash after a short time since it could not validate itself to an account.  Thus, unless one of you has an option on this, I thinking I would have to still use Office 2016 standard or pro so it can run standalone - at least just to get the Excel COM objects.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

MG

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 6:26 PM

Answers

• Hi MG, 

I thinking I would have to still use Office 2016 standard or pro so it can run standalone - at least just to get the Excel COM objects.

From this link:

What's the difference between Office 365 and Office 2019?

Office 365 is subscription service and Office 2019 is sold as one-time purchase. 

It seems that Office 2016 is a better choice for you. 

For professional suggestions about Office/Excel, please redirect to Office Dev Forum

Thanks for your understanding. 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by mg101 Wednesday, February 27, 2019 2:51 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 7:41 AM

All replies

• Hi MG, 

I thinking I would have to still use Office 2016 standard or pro so it can run standalone - at least just to get the Excel COM objects.

From this link:

What's the difference between Office 365 and Office 2019?

Office 365 is subscription service and Office 2019 is sold as one-time purchase. 

It seems that Office 2016 is a better choice for you. 

For professional suggestions about Office/Excel, please redirect to Office Dev Forum

Thanks for your understanding. 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by mg101 Wednesday, February 27, 2019 2:51 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 7:41 AM
  • Thanks Yang.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 2:50 PM