none
Cannot setup a database mirror from SQL Server 2008/R2 to SQL Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• When configuring a "Database Mirror" between a SQL Server 2008/R2 and SQL Server 2012 the following error message is displayed:

SQL Server cannot create the mirroring endpoint, 'Mirroring'.

Additional information:

Cannot write property ProtocolType. This property is not available on SQL Server 7.0. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 11:29 PM

Answers

• Thank you Sean for your quick reply.

I don't have to waste any more time on this issue!

Note that when using the "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio" 2012, there is no error message, and everything looks to work fine.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 11:50 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You cannot mirror between two different versions: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189053.aspx

-Sean

Sean Gallardy, MCC | Blog | Twitter

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 11:42 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you Sean for your quick reply.

I don't have to waste any more time on this issue!

Note that when using the "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio" 2012, there is no error message, and everything looks to work fine.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 11:50 PM
  • Sean is correct. However, note that this is just for SQL Server 2012 since database mirroring will be deprecated in future versions. You can configure database mirroring between SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008/R2. The principal and mirror instances have to be running the same edition in order to do this. Plus, you can only do it one way - meaning that if you failed over from SQL server 2005 to SQL Server 2008/R2, there's no going back. This is a common configuration for upgrade scenarios.

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 11:55 PM
  • Actually that is not accurate. BOL is incorrect (or at least misleading). You certainly CAN Mirror a database from SQL Server 2005/ 2008/ R2 -> 2012. It is known as an "upstream mirror". You should ensure that your service packs are correct for the lower version 2005 =>SP4, 2008=>SP2 and 2008R2=>SP1. Also use SSMS 2012 if you are doing a GUI based mirror setup.

However it is a one directional thing since upon fail-over to the upstream higher version the mirror will be broken and you cannot go downstream.

If you are coming to the PASS Summit in Seattle, I will be demonstrating this technique in my presentation "Moves Like Jagger".

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Contact me through (twitter|blog|SQLCloud)

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem
    or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Come and see me at the PASS Summit 2012

Friday, October 5, 2012 5:32 PM