none
Analysis Services 2005: "OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error : Access denied" using an ORACLE source RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The source DB is in Oracle 9.i . I use the native pilot from Oracle. The connection test is OK. I can also explore the data in the Data Source View whithout any problem. But when I try to process the dimension,  I get the error message "OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error : Access denied.." . I tried with the Native pilot from MS for Oracle but got the same result.

Could anyone help me ?

Rg.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 12:07 PM

Answers

• During deployment of dimensions ( and cubes as well ) Analysis Server tries to process these dimensions. And for that it need to read data from Oracle.

The problem looks like related to the configuration of Oracle client. Also a good idea to check access permissions to Oracle database. See also if changing service account for the Analysis Server solves your problem.

Edward.
    --
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 2:57 PM
  • Hi Edwards,

I changed the service account in the "SQL server configuration manager", for Analysis services and now it works fine :D

Thanks for your help,

Sébastien

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 9:11 AM

All replies

• In your datasource try to use Microsoft OLEDB Provider for Oracle or .NET Oracle Client Data Provider.

Edward.
    --

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

Edward, thanks for the fast answer.

• with the MS provider and had the error :

"OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error"

(same as with the Oracle provider without "access denied").

• With the .net provider :
    1. "Errors in the high-level relational engine. The following exception occurred while the managed IDbConnection interface was being used: System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.. "
    2. "Errors in the high-level relational engine. A connection could not be made to the data source with the DataSourceID of 'xxxxx', Name of 'xxxxx'."

(but my Oracle client version is 9.2.0.3.0)

Could it come from the Oracle client configuration ?

This error comes when I try to deploy my solution with dimensions. If I remove the dimensions, keeping only the data source and the data source views, then I can deploy. 

Sébastien.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:26 AM
  • During deployment of dimensions ( and cubes as well ) Analysis Server tries to process these dimensions. And for that it need to read data from Oracle.

The problem looks like related to the configuration of Oracle client. Also a good idea to check access permissions to Oracle database. See also if changing service account for the Analysis Server solves your problem.

Edward.
    --

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 2:57 PM
  • Hi Edwards,

I changed the service account in the "SQL server configuration manager", for Analysis services and now it works fine :D

Thanks for your help,

Sébastien

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 9:11 AM