none
.NET Runtime Optimization error on SQL Server 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• I posted this on the .NET Framework inside Sql Server forum as well.  Sorry if the cross-post offends anybody.

I upgraded my primary production server this morning to SQL 2005.  Everything went fairly smoothly, but a couple of hours after my installation was complete, I found the following error in my event log:

Source: .NET Runtime Optimization Service

EventID: 1101

.NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32) - Failed to compile: Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91 . Error code = 0x80070002

I am a little stumped since we did not install Reporting Services.  We only installed Database Services, Integration Services and Workstation Components.  I'm open to any suggestions on this.  This does not seem to be negatively affecting our server, but I do want to resolve it as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Kevin

Saturday, January 7, 2006 7:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

try to restart the .NET RuntimeOptimization service. If this does not help you can also work without the service temporary. If you have a maintainance windows and can make a reboot of your server, that would be my next step.

HTH, Jens Suessmeyer.

---
    http://www.sqlserver2005.de
    ---
    Wednesday, May 24, 2006 4:06 AM

All replies

• I'm getting the same message.  Now I'm unable to modify or create tables.
    Monday, May 22, 2006 6:24 PM
  • Hi,

try to restart the .NET RuntimeOptimization service. If this does not help you can also work without the service temporary. If you have a maintainance windows and can make a reboot of your server, that would be my next step.

HTH, Jens Suessmeyer.

---
    http://www.sqlserver2005.de
    ---
    Wednesday, May 24, 2006 4:06 AM
  • Hi

I have just installed Reporting Services 2005, SP1, and Rollup fix 2153. Also I have rebooted the machine and I am still getting the event log message which was posted at the beginning of this thread. Do we have a status or resolution for this.

Thanks

Steve

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 4:10 PM
  • Have you try to stop/start ".Net Runtime Optimization Server v2.0.50727_X86" yet? This service usually set to "manual" and not started.
    Monday, June 19, 2006 4:22 AM
  • I have the same problem and none of the above works. Any other ideas from anyone?

Friday, July 14, 2006 7:20 PM
  • Hello,

I am running my Asp.Net website on IIS5.1 and Sql Server 2005 for about 6 months now, and it works fine on 3 machines.

I recently installed another machine with identical configuration and created the project from VSS. I get the above error whenever I try to debug. As soon as I start debugging, the .NET Runtime Optimization Service enters stopped state with above error. The following is the exact error in Application Event Viewer:

.NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32) - Failed to compile: Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91 . Error code = 0x80070002

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thursday, September 14, 2006 7:07 AM
  • We just applied SP1 for SQL Server 2005 on our production server after a successful installation on our test servers and started to get the same error:

.NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32) - Failed to compile

We haven't attempted any type of fix yet, waiting to see if anyone else has fixed it yet.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 7:22 PM
  • The problem was fixed when I reinstalled Sql Server. Apparently some error during installation, couldnt figure it out.

I think the sequence of installation matters. When I install an XP machine, I stick to the following installation sequence:

Xp->SP2->IIS->MSOffice->OfficeSP->MS Sql Server 2000->Visual Studio->MSDN->VSS->Enterprise Library

Probably This sequence doesnt work for Sql Server 2005

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 4:09 AM
  • Hi
    how do you have reinstalled the SQL Server?
    Do you have deinstalled/installed the server or how?
    We have 3 Instances with diffrent DB´s and i don´t want to crash them.

Thanks for help
    Thursday, October 12, 2006 10:33 PM
  • Best bet is to identify the instance has to be un-installed. In add-remove programs the instances are shown separately. What I did was to stop the sql server in question and save all the LDF and MDF files in a separate folder.

After uninstalling I made sure that corresponding directories and registry entries were completely removed. Then I verified that I am in the correct order, and initiated the installation. I have mentioned the order of installation in my previous message. No need to uninstall .Net framework 2.0 incase already installed. Also, verify that the latest OS service pack is in place before initiate the install.

Once complete, I copied the LDF and MDF files back into the data folder and re-attached the databases. That worked for me.

Hope I have answered your question

Friday, October 13, 2006 4:06 AM
  • thanks. but i see that doesn´t work for SQL2k5? We have it :(

regards
    Friday, October 13, 2006 7:05 AM
  • Looks like I am getting this error message after installing service pack 1 on SQL 2005.  So uninstall and re-install is the answer?  I tried to repair the .NET 2.0 framework, but still get the error.  Not sure if this is a show stopper, but this is a new server with fresh install of everything.  I would hate to have an error like this cause problems in the future.
    Monday, November 20, 2006 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

Just come across this after seeing the same error in my event log during standard system reviews. I don't have any noticeable effects, but when reviewing the full sequence of .Net optimisations there are two distinct groupings of compilations, one where the version is clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32 and one where the version is clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_64 . As I'm running an x64 box might it be that this error is not a problem as it seems to be occuring on the 32bit version of the optimisation and not on the 64bit version?

Would be interesting to know what systems people are running that this error is occuring on, 32bit or 64 bit.

HTH someone else.

Regards

Nick

DBA - United Co-op Ltd

MCDBA

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 10:08 AM
  • I have the same problem, after Installing SQL 2005 SP1 on Clustermachines.

However my SQL-Cluster has a problem moving groups, which I hold responsible for failing to install the SP1 on the Database Engines.

I have  32 Bit Machines.

I find interesting though that my BTS 2006 Machines that use the SQL Servers have the same Problem too, even they don't have any SQL Server on it themselves.

Is it feasable to believe that the Problem is maybe in some other Patch we installed that affects the SQL Client Components?

I have also installed the Hotfix NDP20-KB918642-X86_bugfix.exe which is supposed to fix the annoying Shim Database Error Message (you know it?).

Any new suggestions, workarounds, patches?

Friday, February 9, 2007 12:25 PM
  • I have the exact same error on a 32bit machine.  I was going to waste money and time calling Microsoft, but honestly what is the point?  I applied the SP1 for VS 2005 and started getting this error so obviously their "fixes" are once again just a broken mess of junior grade developers at Microsoft -- I guess all the real coders have moved on to *nix work as they couldn't endure the bobble heads anymore.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 6:49 PM
  • Hi everyone,

I had the same problem, error ID 1101 appearing after installing SQL2005 SP1.

However, I was able to fix it by installing the applicable post-SP1 hotfixes from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918222 .

I only have SQL Server Database Services, Notification Services and Client Components installed.

Just wanted to let you know...

Regards, Ulf

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 10:45 AM
  • It appears that I fixed the problem by simply setting the "NET Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727_X86" service to start automatically.

...Knock on wood....

Perry Steele, IT Manager

Lords Computer Group

Monday, June 25, 2007 6:36 PM
  • setting it to automatically start only temporary fix. It went back to stop stage and switched to manual start again. Any other idea? I have the same .net runtime optimization service running on my web server without SQL and it's starting correctly. Just FYI.

Monday, July 30, 2007 12:47 PM
  •  

Hi,

I have the same problem. Have a large number of errors in the eventlog.

I noticed the file Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.dll is located in the directory "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies" it is apparantly part of the Visual Studio IDE.

To get rit of the error I suppose I need to uninstall the sqlserver 2005 client tools from my server (windows 2003 service pack 1). I know this is not a desired solution, more of a workaround. But now at least the system administrator department does not complain anymore..... I hope this dll will be fixed soon.

Best regards,

Merijn van Mourik

http://crmerijn.blogspot.com

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 11:46 AM
  • Doesn't work

Saturday, August 4, 2007 10:33 PM
  • here is the answer;  kind of disappointing.

Bekir

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=125659

Sunday, August 5, 2007 1:45 AM
  • Event Source: .NET Runtime Optimization Service
    Description:

FIX:

I was getting this same error message after installing SQL 2005 Reporting Services and installing SP1 after I configured my reporting services, but I fixed this issue by following this install sequence: 1 - I installed SQL 2005 Reporting service -> 2 - and then installed SP1 and then configure Reporting Services.

Hope this helps

Murad Akram

Thursday, August 16, 2007 3:29 PM
  • Murad's fix works. Confirmed. Thanks!

Installed SQL During the install when it prompts you rather or not to use default configuration for reporting server. Uncheck it.

Upgraded to SQL 2005 SP2, and ran the Microsoft Update to patch all the SQL2005 update.

Now configure the reporting server.

Error gone.

Friday, August 24, 2007 2:05 PM
  •  Aeth2007 wrote:

Murad's fix works. Confirmed. Thanks!

Installed SQL During the install when it prompts you rather or not to use default configuration for reporting server. Uncheck it.

Upgraded to SQL 2005 SP2, and ran the Microsoft Update to patch all the SQL2005 update.

Now configure the reporting server.

Error gone.

This is fine, if you want reporting server installed.  That is not my intended configuration though.  I too had this issue, I resolved it by completing a repair on .NET Framework 2.0 and then rebooting the server.  If you have to complete things in a maintenance window, I would suggest completing the repair during the Mx. window, and then rebooting there after.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 3:08 AM
  • I have recently installed SQL 2005 just the base components. Have not installed reporting server. but i see the below error in application event log only for a spefified period of time after the upgrade, for like 7 hours on 10/18, since then i have not seen the error at all till date. Can some on tell me why did i get this error log and what does it mean.

Event Source: .NET Runtime Optimization Service
    Description:

Thursday, October 25, 2007 3:51 PM
  • I was getting this Event ID 1101, after installing SP2 for SQL2005 on a SBS2003R2.

Doing a repair installation on Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributibal 2005 trough Add/Remove programs seem to have fixed this problem in our case. I also rebooted the server to make sure.

Hope this helps someone.

Greets

Arno

Saturday, November 3, 2007 2:33 PM
  • this issue is becouse the SQL 2005 to know you server certifficate

you need to allow server certificate in the SQL 2005 configretion .

i was haveing the issue last week for two days and i solv it

Sunday, November 11, 2007 7:04 PM
  • In my case the error was because the service was set to manual.

//Peter

Friday, November 30, 2007 6:36 PM
  • ObieOne's fix seemed to do the job for me.  Started the service post 'repair' of the report viewer redistributibal using add/remove programs and the serivce stopped itself after a few seconds with no errors in the event log.  I'll continue to monitor for a repeat of this error...

Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:32 PM
  • I experienced the same issue. I corrected it by reinstalling SP2 for SQL 2005.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:30 AM
  • In my case, running the DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS new query from the top of the SQL instance structure in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio corrected the problem.

Friday, April 25, 2008 2:19 PM
  • Hi All

I got this after patching.  I'm assuming its relating to the .net 2.0 sp1 patch and the service being set to manual I rebooted after patching but I don't think the service was ever running as its had other reboots.  Because it was 432 mb at the time I didn't run the visual studio 2005 sp.

http://blogs.msdn.com/davidnotario/archive/2005/04/27/412838.aspx seemed to suggest this service had something to do with VS but to be honest I don't know why we get VS on this box - I'm a general sysadmin not DBA/sysprog.

This is an sql cluster node running DBs for MOM and an email archiving product - Symantec Enterprise vault.  Is it OK to start the service to get rid of this error or should I look at running the VS2005 service pack?

Thursday, May 8, 2008 12:45 AM
  •  

I might not remember correctly at all, but when I had that and analysed the problem I found:

The .Net Runtime Optimization Service wants to precompile all the dlls.

When coming to the Reporting Services part there is a problem with the references.

The dlls needed are obviously at two locations on the machine, whoever the ones needed are not where the .Net Runtime Optimization Service would look for them.

So the problem is 100% in the Service Pack as it should either copy the proper things into the proper places OR

set paths for the dlls' references properly.

Interesting enough after a few post sp2 patches and various reboots the problem dissappeared, So I guess that at some patch level it is fixed by MS already.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 7:10 AM
  •  

So it might come out in the wash after sp2 - we're on sp 1.  My immediate issues is does it have any impact?  I've patched the passive node of the cluster and want to fail the service over to it now so I can patch the other node.
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 12:05 AM
  • Using SQL2005 Standard plus SP2 to host Team Foundation Server 2008, I have seen:

Monday, July 14, 2008 4:57 PM
  •  

Please see thread http://forums.asp.net/t/994105.aspx for details of where else this problem has been observed.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 5:36 PM
  • Did you try reinstalling SP2 for SQL 2005?

Monday, July 14, 2008 5:40 PM
  •  

I will have to try the SP2 re-install in the morning, as well as the report view repair.

There is an extensive thread on this problem at http://forums.asp.net/t/1287948.aspx

Also anybody still having this problem should go to https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=125659 (free registration required) and log that have the problem.

Monday, July 14, 2008 7:48 PM
  •  

The error is no longer being reported - I have documented it at http://forums.asp.net/p/1287948/2489844.aspx

Thank you for your suggestions, but I neither reapplied SQL Server 2005 SP2 or re-installed Reporting services, just left the server alone overnight.

The why of this error and its apparent fix remains a mystery to me. I suggest anybody else encountering this error, log their experiance here, connect.microsoft.com and on the forums.asp.net thread, I cite above. It has occurred both with SQL2005 and CTP of SQL2008, together with a variety of platforms.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:31 AM
  • have this after upgrade sql server 2005 to SP2 :

..NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32) - Failed
    to compile: Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners...

just solve this probleme by changing IIS configuration for web site created by report service.

Don t know why they created stupidly the default web site with   aspnet v1.1 option

Changing to v2.0 and u will see no more error in event log.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:09 PM
  • Thank you Duguet for your observation - I have checked the affected server, both 1.1 and 2.0 are enabled.

I suspect that there may more than one cause for this message.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:31 AM
  • Hi all,

I'm not sure if it will work for all, but I got rid of the problem by issuing the followin command:

ngen update

Regards

Jerzy Jamroży

Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:47 AM
  • I filtered my application log on Event ID 1101. We've been getting a 'round' of them every couple months for the last 2 years, for a total of 11 occurrences. It usually comes 23 times, all in the same day. (A couple times it was 24 and once 25.) At no time did it ever seem to have any effect on anything other than leaving errors in the application log.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 9:30 PM
  • I will recheck the server on which this problem occurred.
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 12:21 PM
  • how I resolved this issue was the following

1. uninstall  .NET Framework 3.5.1 via server manager->reboot

2. install application server role which re-installs  .NET Framework 3.5.1->reboot

I am also using MSSQL 2008r2 and my server is 2008 (also its a VM)

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:49 PM