none
SQL Server AlwaysOn Cluster name issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i have a 3 node cluster and always on setup created and running on production as below

cluster name = X

Node1 = A

Node2 = B

Node3 = C

now i am creating another cluster and i need to give new cluster name as X, which i have given in earlier cluster by mistake.

so looking for best solution of changing name of cluster or changing node in cluster X, please suggest with steps 

SQL Server DBA

Monday, October 16, 2017 5:00 AM

All replies

• Do you mean the cluster name or the listener name?

If it is the cluster name then you can change this with no impact to the Availability Group - follow this post:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/5819a6db-6507-4d4a-b20e-ebb34a5bd084/renaming-a-windows-2012-cluster?forum=winserverClustering

Martin Cairney SQL Server MVP

Monday, October 16, 2017 5:17 AM
  • Hello,

i have a 3 node cluster and always on setup created and running on production as below

cluster name = X

Node1 = A

Node2 = B

Node3 = C

now i am creating another cluster and i need to give new cluster name as X, which i have given in earlier cluster by mistake.

so looking for best solution of changing name of cluster or changing node in cluster X, please suggest with steps 

SQL Server DBA

There is a solution but I would suggest leave old cluster X as it is and start using it as per your requirement. What I mean is go ahead and install new cluster similar like Old Cluster X give it a name Y . Now point old application to Y and make appropriate changes in application string.

what you are left with is Cluster X do whatever changes you like on Cluster X apart from changing name. Like remove or add node as you like.

Will this work for you, let me know ?

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, October 16, 2017 6:35 AM