none
SQL2005 LogShipping or Cluster for my usage

Question

• Hello Everyone,

I have a situation where I have a siteA and a siteB with a SQLServer 2005 Standard Edition on both site. I want that siteA has the primary database and site B the secondary database but when the VPN between both sites is DOWN I would like that siteA will become secondary serving only the siteA and siteB become primary serving the siteB and every others sites.

I have tried Replication scenarios and log shipping. In final I would use log shipping but I have a problem when siteA become secondary I can serve siteA with database on siteA but when the VPN becomes UP I can't keep changes done on databse A.

What's the best approach in this kind of situation?

PS : My databse is used for Dynamics AX

Friday, October 01, 2010 1:37 PM

Answers

• You can't use log shipping or DB mirror for this scenario.

Only option that i can think of is Merge replication or trans replication.

The other option is to have a true Geo Cluster eqipped with VLAN.

HTH - Vijay

Saturday, October 02, 2010 4:07 AM
    Answerer
  • What you are requesting is a technique to implement an occaisionally connected system.  Merge Replication is the usual method to handle this.  Transactional replication with updating subscribers is another option, but it is deprecated and won't be around much longer. 

You could use Peer-to-peer replication, but you would have to partition your solution and make the apps partition aware.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Monday, October 04, 2010 8:37 PM

All replies

• You can't use log shipping or DB mirror for this scenario.

Only option that i can think of is Merge replication or trans replication.

The other option is to have a true Geo Cluster eqipped with VLAN.

HTH - Vijay

Saturday, October 02, 2010 4:07 AM
    Answerer
  • What you are requesting is a technique to implement an occaisionally connected system.  Merge Replication is the usual method to handle this.  Transactional replication with updating subscribers is another option, but it is deprecated and won't be around much longer. 

You could use Peer-to-peer replication, but you would have to partition your solution and make the apps partition aware.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Monday, October 04, 2010 8:37 PM
  • Thank you for your answers.

I have VLAN but I can't buy a true Geo Cluster. It's pity.

I will try to implement the merge replication in my test envirronment before turn that in production.

But I have just seen that I can use clutering because my licensing permit that with 2 nodes. What do you think about a cluster in this situation?

Thursday, October 07, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Hi mrenbe,

Thanks for your post.

I would like to recommend that you ask it in a new thread and you will get quicker support.

Regards,
    Tom Li
    Saturday, October 09, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Ayy form of clustering is NOT going to help you. Clustering is desgned to provide you high availability and multiple points of data access.

Once you need is a solution which can synchronize (or merge) the changes made at both the servers/sites.

Saturday, October 09, 2010 4:10 PM
    Answerer