Errors in SQL Server 2012 Failover Cluster on Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone successfully installed a SQL Server 2012 Failover Cluster on Server 2012? I'm getting stuck at the Instance Configuration screen, i get an error when trying to detect the SQL Server Network Name, here is the error:

The given network name is unusable because there was a failure trying to determine if the network name is valid for use by the clustered SQL instance due to the following error: 'The network address is invalid.'

i am using oracle virtual boxes. previously i used vmware on the same machine for SQL 2008 and windows 2008 with out any issues.

my cluster tests are passed with out any issues. is there any one out there have same issue. does any one have solution.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• Are you giving proper IP Address which is in range?

1. Can you please provide screenshot (use Insert Image) option in next reply
    2. Share the setup logs located under "c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log"

You can zip the folder and upload to SkyDrive or DropBox and provide us the link in next email. 

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:55 AM
  • Thanks balmukund.

i figured out the issue and resolved myself. I have successfully installed the failover cluster.

It took a while to figure out and very time consuming process.

thanks

kumar

• Marked as answer by Kumar muppa Wednesday, November 7, 2012 3:34 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kumar muppa Friday, November 9, 2012 1:02 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 3:34 AM
  • Thanks balmukund.

i figured out the issue and resolved myself. I have successfully installed the failover cluster.

It took a while to figure out and very time consuming process.

thanks

kumar

What was the issue?

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 3:58 AM
  • Trail and error. i uninstalled the guest additions the virtual box. then restarted the machine.

SQL server installation did not complain. i wasn't sure about the root cause. but below article supported that i did the right thing.

http://www.bidn.com/blogs/KathiKellenberger/sql-server/3236/creating-a-practice-sql-server-cluster-in-virtual-machines-always-has-surprises

• Marked as answer by Kumar muppa Friday, November 16, 2012 4:09 AM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 1:02 AM
  • If you are using Oracle Virtual Box- Uninstall the guest additions before proceeding

on both nodes - it worked for me.

Friday, April 24, 2015 9:22 AM