none
Can't connect to remote SSAS 2008R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I explored other topics on same issue in this forum but couldn't resolve my problem.

I'm trying to access remote instance of SSAS server using SSMS, and am getting following error :

Cannot connect to [servername].
    ------------------------------
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Authentication failed. (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient)
    The logon attempt failed (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient)

I'm on Win XP and server is Windows Server 2008 R2. My same windows ID has admin access to the server and firewall on server is disabled. Specifying IP connection doesn't work either (different error).

Tested using Excel 2007 and Data Connection to same instance of SSAS, gives error if I select 'Use Windows Authentication'. But if I select 'Use following user name and password', and explicitly provide my same windows ID and password it works.

But I can't use the same method is SSMS since the User Name and Password field is disabled.

All the SQL service on the server are running and I have enabled TCP\IP and Named Instances.

I can connect to SQL Database  on same instance using 'Use Windows Authentication'.

Please enlighten.

R.S.S.

• Edited by R. Singh Monday, November 26, 2012 8:57 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 8:56 AM

Answers

• I managed to fix the problem by removing saved credential as per in following thread :

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/sqlanalysisservices/thread/d80b04ea-1f79-4a30-9191-853b96696033

In Win XP (client machine) go to Control Panel - User Accounts - Advance - Manage Passwords; remove stored user name for the respective server.

R.S.S.

• Marked as answer by R. Singh Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:06 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:06 AM

All replies

• check Firewall settings...

check whether the username and password you are using has rights for that Analysis Server.(Connect the cube in SSMS and right click the root node that has the server name and in properties select security tab in the left pane and check the username and password ).

if both the settings are correct it should work fine. is the server and client machine are in same domain??

Please vote as helpful or mark as answer, if it helps Regards, Anand

Monday, November 26, 2012 12:13 PM
  • Hi,

Firewall is disabled - anyway I did specify the exceptions to required ports and the exe.

The username has the admin rights - though the server is in different domain (client-domainA; server- domainB), but I can access it without problem.

There could be conflict because I have same user account in both domains - domainA\username and domainB\username.

And I have granted both users Admin rights. I'm logged in to my client workstation using domainA\username.  In Excel, 'Use Windows Authentication' doesn't work, but when I explicitly set domainA\username and password, it connects.

If l login to server using domainA\username and connects to SSMS, it works.

I tried removing domainB\username from admin right to avoid this 'system confusion' but no help.

And I don't see anything in event logs to troubleshoot further.

R.S.S.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:54 AM
  • I managed to fix the problem by removing saved credential as per in following thread :

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/sqlanalysisservices/thread/d80b04ea-1f79-4a30-9191-853b96696033

In Win XP (client machine) go to Control Panel - User Accounts - Advance - Manage Passwords; remove stored user name for the respective server.

R.S.S.

• Marked as answer by R. Singh Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:06 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:06 AM