none
DAX equivalent of Text to Column? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks 

I want to split a column in a powerpivot table based on  the location of a dash. I have a column called service name that contains  data  in the format outlined below and in the linked screenshot

e.g.

Service Name 

7554501130 - Tony Smith

7124505130 - David Little

Some times the service Name is blank. I want to split the the persons name from the  Numeric component of Service Name out so that in the above example I would get 

Persons Name

Tony Smith 

David Little 

If there is no name in a particular row that is fine, I just need to avoid any Error being returned. So basically the equivalent of a Text to column in Excel based on the character "-")

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Steve 

Monday, July 25, 2011 10:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Folks 

I want to split a column in a powerpivot table based on  the location of a dash. I have a column called service name that contains  data  in the format outlined below and in the linked screenshot

e.g.

Service Name 

7554501130 - Tony Smith

Some times the service Name is blank. I want to split the the persons name from the  Numeric component of Service Name out so that in the above example I would get 

Persons Name

Tony Smith 

David Little 

If there is no name in a particular row that is fine, I just need to avoid any Error being returned. So basically the equivalent of a Text to column in Excel based on the character "-")

Thanks 

Steve 

Use a calculated column wit this formula:

=MID([service name],FIND("-",[service name])+2,255)

Regards,

David Hager

Monday, July 25, 2011 11:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Folks 

e.g.

Service Name 

7554501130 - Tony Smith

Persons Name

Tony Smith 

David Little 

Thanks 

Steve 

Use a calculated column wit this formula:

=MID([service name],FIND("-",[service name])+2,255)

Regards,

David Hager

Monday, July 25, 2011 11:33 PM
  • Somehow, I still get an error. why do you add 2,255?

Monday, October 3, 2016 5:32 PM