none
TCP Provider: Error code 0x2746 when connecting from Linux to Windows 2003/ SQL Express 10.50.6542 RRS feed

• Question

• Server: Windows Server 2003 R2
    Standard Edition
    Service Pack 2
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP3-OD) (KB3144114) - 10.50.6542.0 (Intel X86)   Feb 22 2016 18:12:09   
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Express Edition on Windows NT 5.2 <X86> (Build : ) (Hypervisor)

Client:
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 (x86_64)
    VERSION = 12
    PATCHLEVEL = 2

ODBC Driver: 
    /opt/microsoft/msodbcsql/lib64/libmsodbcsql-13.1.so.9.1

Updated from the current repository for SLES12.

Failure from the SQL Trace (a connect attempt using isql):

DIAG [08001] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server]TCP Provider: Error code 0x2746
    DIAG [08001] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server]Client unable to establish connection

Is this a problem with TLS 1.2?  Is this client/server combination supported ?

Thanks,

Gudmundur

Gudmundur Karlsson

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 4:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Gudmundur ,

I just solved the same problem,and I should thank you first ,cause I could only find your question had the same error code 0x2746 

,and Xi Jin referred to TLS 1.2, I finally found out this problem related to openssl verson.

Server:  Windows  server 2003 R2

DB version: Sql Server 2005

Client:

Oracle linux 7 (x86_64) RHEL 7

openssl version:1.0.2k-12.el7 and 1.0.1e-12.el7

With version 1.0.2k my client could not establish connection but with 1.0.1e everything works fine。

So I think you might check  openssl version first and then try to downgrade it.

I was quite sure this problem had nothing to do with my server as I could connect to it from another client, then I found your question and determinded it had something to do with openssl version, at last I compared those two clients' openssl verion and found the difference.

Since your question was asked almost one year ago ,I wish you have already solved it.

Friday, August 31, 2018 7:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Gudmundur,

To troubleshoot your issue, first please verify your firewall settings. Make sure that the TCP protocol is not blocked by the firewall. 

Then the issue can be caused by TLS 1.2. Please refer to TLS 1.2 support for Microsoft SQL Server and check if your environment is supporting TLS 1.2.

Reference: TCP Provider: Error code 0x2746. Client unable to establish connection. 

Thanks,
    Xi Jin.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 2:27 AM
  • Hi Xi Jin, thanks for the response.

We tested with telnet, the port is open.  We had the customer upgrade to SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP3-OD) (KB3144114) because of the TLS 1.2 page.  According to that page SP3 supports TLS 1.2.

How can I find out if lack of TLS 1.2 support is the problem?

Thanks,

Gudmundur

Gudmundur Karlsson

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 12:47 PM
  • Hi Gudmundur,

SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3 is enough for TLS 1.2. I think your issue is related to your windows server version as you are using Windows Server 2003.

Refer to TLS 1.2 support for Microsoft SQL Server. And you will see:

Which versions of Windows Server support TLS 1.2?
    Windows Server 2008 R2 and later versions support TLS 1.2.

Thanks,
    Xi Jin.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 6:52 AM
  • Hi Gudmundur ,

I just solved the same problem,and I should thank you first ,cause I could only find your question had the same error code 0x2746 

,and Xi Jin referred to TLS 1.2, I finally found out this problem related to openssl verson.

Server:  Windows  server 2003 R2

DB version: Sql Server 2005

Client:

Oracle linux 7 (x86_64) RHEL 7

openssl version:1.0.2k-12.el7 and 1.0.1e-12.el7

With version 1.0.2k my client could not establish connection but with 1.0.1e everything works fine。

So I think you might check  openssl version first and then try to downgrade it.

I was quite sure this problem had nothing to do with my server as I could connect to it from another client, then I found your question and determinded it had something to do with openssl version, at last I compared those two clients' openssl verion and found the difference.

Since your question was asked almost one year ago ,I wish you have already solved it.

Friday, August 31, 2018 7:21 AM
  • Hi jarywong,

cc: Gudmundur Karlsson

I'm facing the same issue you faced last year and with the same senario (same client OS, same openssl, same db server etc.); however, I'm unable to downgrade my Openssl to 1.0.1e as you have suggestd due to some company restrictions and neither is it available in company repo. Where you able to find another workaround or do you have a suggestion that you think I should explore ?

Thanks

• Edited by Carl John Friday, March 8, 2019 10:18 PM forgot to put the right ref
    Friday, March 8, 2019 10:16 PM