none
SSAS Tabular Model Scope RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

What is best practice when it comes to Tabular model functional scope ? For example, if we have one enterprise system (like HR) with different functional areas (employee relations, compensation, training and development, etc.) can we have all functional areas in one model and divide it by perspectives or better to have a separate model (i.e. SSAS DB) for each functional area even if we have to repeat dimensions (like employee dimension) between models.

What other factors might be considered? (number of fact tables per model, etc.)

Thanks,

AK

Monday, September 30, 2019 4:00 PM

All replies

• Hi AK_F,

Welcome to SQL Server Analysis Services community forum.

>>can we have all functional areas in one model and divide it by perspectives or better to have a separate

>>model (i.e. SSAS DB) for each functional area even if we have to repeat dimensions (like employee

>>dimension) between models.

Yes, you can put all functional areas in one model. Also, you can create separate models for each functional area. However, I couldn't give you a direct suggestion about that. which design for the model you would decide to choose depends on your business rules. For example, model range of user accessing, some users don't need to view training data, others don't need to view development data, etc. But you could create permissions for user access. Probably, you would like to reduce the usage of the memory. For this purpose, you would create only one model for that implementation, but you could change tabular model into DirectQuery mode. Therefore, there are many ways for you to choose based on your consideration.

>>What other factors might be considered? (number of fact tables per model, etc.)

Hardware resource(Storage and memory consumption), model design(size of the model), calculated columns and measures.

Intro to SSAS Tabular

Best Regards,

Will 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 6:15 AM
  • Hi AK,

Do you have any doubts about my reply? If not, please kindly help close the thread.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 4, 2019 7:17 AM