none
Probe Ports 59999, 59998 etc. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I'm really struggling to understand the probe port part of Azure Always-on.

Where on the actual VM is this probe port set? I take it the probe port is different from the listener port?

Many thanks, I'm under pressure to actually get this working

Monday, June 17, 2019 2:42 PM

All replies

• Since this is an Azure SQL question, I suggest you post your question here instead:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/home?forum=ssdsgetstarted

Monday, June 17, 2019 4:29 PM
  • Hi Beefstew123,

>>Where on the actual VM is this probe port set? I take it the probe port is different from the listener port?

It is on the load balancer.The probe defines how Azure verifies which of the SQL Server instances currently owns the availability group listener. Azure probes the service based on the IP address on a port that you define when you create the probe. Yes, you are right. It is different from the listener port.

For more details, please refer to Configure a load balancer for an Always On availability group in Azure

Hope this could help you .

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 6:50 AM
  • You wrote

Azure probes the service based on the IP address on a port that you define when you create the probe.

Sorry , probes what service? I'm really failing to see how the probe port located on the load balancer has anything to do with  the actual server? I have not designated a port at the server level so to me the server is not listening on that port? Is there any doco out the that specifically details what the probe does? If I telnet to the same port on the server it will fail as the server is not listeneing

There is something I am not understanding

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:10 AM
  • But the SQL server also needs to listen on this port. Mine is not. This is the bit that I am not understanding. How do I make the actual SQL server listen on port 59999

On this I am totally stumped

Thanks

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 5:17 PM