none
FlightRecorderCurrent.trc

Question

• We're getting tons of these errors in the event viewer.  What is causing this issue?

An error occurred while writing a trace event to the file, \\?\F:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Log\FlightRecorderCurrent.trc.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:41 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

The Flight Recorder trace enabled by default in OLAP works like a black box in a plane. It records all activity when running. Likely the drive where the trace is stored might be full or no permissions to the location for the service.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlanalysisservices/thread/9bcc369d-5f23-41fc-916d-448e20182430

It is a booleen server property you can enable and disable.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966526.aspx

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog or Twitter.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

• Marked as answer by FatigueTech Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:33 AM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:08 AM
  • I know this is old, but I had the same issue and it kept getting pointed to this article, and not a solution that was an option for me (disabling the flightrecorder).

In the Analysis Services PROPERTIES on the server, in the GENERAL page, showing the Advanced Properties, there is also a setting "Log \ FlightRecorder \ FileSizeMB".

I couldn't tell you why, but when I increased the value of "Log \ FlightRecorder \ FileSizeMB" from it's default of 10 to 20, and I also disabled and reenabled "Log \ FlightRecorder \ Enabled". The flightrecordercurrent.trc and flightrecorderback.trc files grew (by about 10KB), and then the errors went away.

I'm guessing here, but this seems like this setting is used to prevent the .trc file from eating up the available space, since it grows so quickly. I am also guessing that this will happen again at some point when the file hits that threshold...  It could have easily been the simple act of disable/enabling it. Just a guess why it worked, but who cares, it worked. 

Hope that helps somebody.. 

Thursday, October 01, 2015 6:45 PM