none
SQL 2005 Service Pack server upgrade order with log shipping

Question

• Hello all

I have a question regarding the order of upgrade for an existing SQL 2005 environment to SP3.

We have a setup of a active/passive SQL cluster and additionally a seperate log shipping target server and a witness server. When applying SP3 what order should the servers be upgraded in?

1. Should log shipping be manually stopped before the upgrade begins?, i.e. just disable all the jobs.

2. When installing the service pack, in what order should the servers be upgraded? I.e. log shipping source, target, witness. Does the order of the upgrade matter?

3. Are there any specific known issues to be aware of during an SP upgrade of this configuration?

Thank you.

Jonathan

Friday, July 23, 2010 11:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You don’t need to stop the jobs before upgrading the instances that involved in log shipping. Log shipping continues throughout the upgrade process.

Generally, the monitor server instance can be upgraded at any time. Make sure upgrade the secondary server before the primary server. For more information about upgrading SQL Server log shipping, please see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645954.aspx

If you have any more questions, please let me know.
    Thanks.

***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Monday, July 26, 2010 7:50 AM