none
Uninstall SQL EXPRESS 2014 ERROR RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i managed to install SQL Express 2014 on Windows 7 Pro SP1 without any problems at all. When i try to uninstall it i get the error message.

"The operating system on this computer or its service pack level does not meet the minimum requirements for SQL Server 2014."

However it installed absolutely fine without issue, why does it not uninstall? Surely uninstalling should have a lower requirement than installing it!

What is the fix or is this yet another MS bug?

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:22 PM

Answers

• It looks like the fix could be

Launch setup.exe from an elevated command shell. Change to the directory "c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2014", then type:

Setup.exe /action=uninstall

This seems to have fixed it for me!

Adding the flag at the end seems to bypass the OS check.

• Marked as answer by Dean Resource Monday, September 29, 2014 9:00 AM
    • Edited by Dean Resource Monday, September 29, 2014 9:00 AM Extra info
    Monday, September 29, 2014 9:00 AM
  • I think I have the answer.

The uninstallation bootstrap file “SetupARP.exe” located here

(64 bit)
    c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2014\x64

(32 bit)
    c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2014\x86

is configured with “compatibility mode – Windows Vista”. 

When the compatibility functions are removed from this file MS SQL 2014 uninstalls absolutely fine from the programs and features menu in windows.

So for some reason SetupARP.exe seems to be installed with “windows Vista” compatibility mode enabled by default!
    • Marked as answer by Dean Resource Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:28 AM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:28 AM

All replies

• Hi

Try running the setup file as administrator and then uninstall it from there.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:30 PM
  • Hi, i managed to install SQL Express 2014 on Windows 7 Pro SP1 without any problems at all. When i try to uninstall it i get the error message.

"The operating system on this computer or its service pack level does not meet the minimum requirements for SQL Server 2014."

However it installed absolutely fine without issue, why does it not uninstall? Surely uninstalling should have a lower requirement than installing it!

What is the fix or is this yet another MS bug?

The  problem is with something else and its giving weird message . Considering message it gives its surely a wrong message. Of course if you can install SS 2014 you should be able to uninstall it.

When are you getting this message , when you go to add remove program click on SQl Server 2014 and select uninstall ? can you please show me the screenshot.

In 2012 such error was popped during installation even when OS met hardware and software requirements. But the issue was not with OS but with .Net framework. Can you repair MS .net framework 3.5Sp1 and 4.0 both.

I am not saying this is actually the answer its more of a speculation.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Articles

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:58 PM
  • Thanks for your replies, i am already a local admin of the PC so that shouldn't be the issue. I also ran the uninstaller as "run as administrator" but that hasn't fixed it either! :(

The .net framework however, i do not have 3.5 or 4 installed.

i only have 4.5.1 i will see about installing the other two and then see if i can uninstall the SQL server. It is just stupid stuff like this that makes you wish Microsoft could get things right!

I have also tried the 2012 fixes but they were no help either. you'd have thought MS would have learnt by now?

Here is a picture of the error, to replicate this i go to control panel, add remove programs, select SQL 2014 then click uninstall then i click REMOVE and then this error pops up.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:50 PM
  • Is your system windows 7 Pro or Windows 8 Pro ?

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Articles

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:00 PM
  • Windows 7 pro SP1. One thing i do remember though, i tried to uninstall after installing IIS and the uninstall program started working but the uninstall check told me "the system is waiting for a reboot" so i couldn't uninstall. After rebooting i couldn't even get that far any more!

It just gives me the above error.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:06 PM
  • Hello,

Please try to open Command Prompt, go to the folder where setup.exe (SQL Server setup) is located and try to run the following command:

Setup.exe /Action=Uninstall

Another option is to use the Program Compatibility Assistant on setup.exe.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10436/using-program-compatibility-mode-in-windows-7/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:16 PM
  • Thanks for this, these were the fixes for 2012 which i hoped would have worked but don't have any affect :(

i do have sql 2012 installed too, i think this came with VS 2013.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:26 PM
  • This may have happened because of the installation of SQL Server updates that bypassed, for some reason, the operating system version checks.

Get your operating system up to date with all the latest patches and try again.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:36 PM
  • Updating windows is my number 1 priority......this was already done before MS SQL was even installed.........
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:05 PM
  • Dean,

go to this path and run setup.exe located there. See if it works.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2012\setup.exe

Since you are running SQL Server 2014 the path might be a little different. This was for 2012.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:10 PM
  • Thanks for that, i tried it before but out of sheer desperation i decided to try again

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2014

run setup as administrator...same error!

Stupid microsoft. Makes me want to smash me lumia!

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:15 PM
  • Thanks for that, i tried it before but out of sheer desperation i decided to try again

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2014

run setup as administrator...same error!

Stupid microsoft. Makes me want to smash me lumia!

You should raise a case with Microsoft because I guess when you installed IIS is changed something in registry which is popping this issue. Did you tried uninstall from command prompt ?

If issue is with Microsoft product its quite possible you would be refunded.

My Technet Articles

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:30 PM
  • Hi Shanky,

I have tried to uninstall from every possible way i can find...except safe mode. I will try that now. A refund would be nice BUT it is two lots of free software! lol

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:37 PM
  • Hi Shanky,

I have tried to uninstall from every possible way i can find...except safe mode. I will try that now. A refund would be nice BUT it is two lots of free software! lol

Ya it is unfortunately i too faced issue with SS 2014 but I was manage to resolve it it was a bug. I dont have access to your system so I can only type

My Technet Articles

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:39 PM
  • Safe mode, as i expected, doesn't allow you to uninstall anything using the MS installer.....bloody microsoft!
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:34 PM
  • Dean,

in light of these attempts, the best advice I can to give you is to try to use a 3rd party registry cleaning tool. It rarely helps, but nothing is impossible.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:23 PM
  • That reply fills me with dread!

i will give it a shot!

Thanks for trying everyone..Microsoft defeat us again :(

• Marked as answer by Dean Resource Thursday, September 18, 2014 8:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dean Resource Wednesday, August 2, 2017 10:01 AM
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 8:27 AM
  • Bug has been reported

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedbackdetail/view/974626

Thursday, September 18, 2014 8:41 AM
  • It looks like the fix could be

Launch setup.exe from an elevated command shell. Change to the directory "c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2014", then type:

Setup.exe /action=uninstall

This seems to have fixed it for me!

Adding the flag at the end seems to bypass the OS check.

• Marked as answer by Dean Resource Monday, September 29, 2014 9:00 AM
    • Edited by Dean Resource Monday, September 29, 2014 9:00 AM Extra info
    Monday, September 29, 2014 9:00 AM
  • I think I have the answer.

The uninstallation bootstrap file “SetupARP.exe” located here

(64 bit)
    c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2014\x64

(32 bit)
    c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2014\x86

is configured with “compatibility mode – Windows Vista”. 

When the compatibility functions are removed from this file MS SQL 2014 uninstalls absolutely fine from the programs and features menu in windows.

So for some reason SetupARP.exe seems to be installed with “windows Vista” compatibility mode enabled by default!
    • Marked as answer by Dean Resource Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:28 AM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:28 AM
  • Thanks this seems to be a plausible reason. Can you consolidate your answer like previous one you gave was workaround and now is the answer. Consolidate it in one and delete other answers of yours it will just make thread more clear.

Good work!!

My Technet Articles

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:30 AM
  • OUR FATE THAT WE ARE USING SUCH A CRAP SOFTWARE IN OUR DAILY LIFE...but at the same time,  ITS GREAT THAT SMART GUYS AROUND HERE... thanks Dean!!

HydPhani

Saturday, April 18, 2015 5:40 PM
  • Please close the thread. Thank You!!

Regards, Pradyothana DP. Please Mark This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue. ========================================================== https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Profile/pradyothanadp http://www.dbainhouse.blogspot.in/

Sunday, April 19, 2015 2:41 PM