none
What is the use of mapped to certificate, asymmetric key, credentials RRS feed

• Question

• Hi DBAs,
    Can anyone help me out to understand the concept of 
    1) what is the use of mapped to certificate/asymmetric key/credentials
    2) how to use mapped to certificate/asymmetric key/credentials
    3) in which conditions we can use mapped to certificate/asymmetric key/credentials

which is present on login properties page

Regards,
    Yashwant Vishwakarma | MyPage

Yashwant Vishwakarma|www.sqlocean.com

Thursday, July 23, 2015 8:33 AM

Answers

• You can create login (on server level) or a user (on database level) from a certificate or an asymmetric key. This is used with module signing. You can sign a stored procedure, trigger or an assembly with key or certificate. You can then grant the login/user permissions you want to be associated with that procedure. The login/user is only a placeholder for the permissions, as permissions can't be granted to keys.

For a detailed discussion about how and why you would do this, see this article on my web site:
    http://www.sommarskog.se/grantperm.html

The credentials are a different story, that I have not really grasped myself.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 8:45 AM

All replies

• You can create login (on server level) or a user (on database level) from a certificate or an asymmetric key. This is used with module signing. You can sign a stored procedure, trigger or an assembly with key or certificate. You can then grant the login/user permissions you want to be associated with that procedure. The login/user is only a placeholder for the permissions, as permissions can't be granted to keys.

For a detailed discussion about how and why you would do this, see this article on my web site:
    http://www.sommarskog.se/grantperm.html

The credentials are a different story, that I have not really grasped myself.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 8:45 AM
  • Hi Erland,

Still I am not able to relate it practically, actually I want to perform a demo of this on my PC. 

If you can tell me in that way then it is very helpful for me.

I have read the things from below link from which I got a little bit idea but how to perform it on PC I don't know??

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb895327(v=sql.110).aspx

creation process is easy for all whether it is credential, asymmetric key or certificate only the problem is that how to implement it, I am stuck here..Could you please help me in that way..

Regards,

Yashwant Vishwakarma | MyPage

Yashwant Vishwakarma|www.sqlocean.com

Thursday, July 23, 2015 9:16 AM
  • Still I am not able to relate it practically, actually I want to perform a demo of this on my PC. 

If you can tell me in that way then it is very helpful for me.

So read my article. There are plenty of demos in it.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 10:00 AM
  • Thanks you'for you're Information sir i hopful it's make me great soon

Sunday, September 22, 2019 5:56 AM