Custom views of a list RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Am working on SP 2010 and assigning permissions to users on custom views of a list.

I have created 15 custom views of a list and need to give permissions of these 15 custom views to their respective users so that they can access list which is specific to them only. Each view has specific information pertaining to these users.

I tried giving permissions from the list permissions, however the user gets access  to all 15 custom views. I am not able to restrict a particular view from other users.

Request way around to solve this problem.

Rgds

Zoref

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Zoref,

Please see below discussion.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/is-IS/project2010custprog/thread/a3336775-6768-4268-9147-a071abc690ea

Suggestion is to use webpart pages for these 15 views and give permission to these pages or to the list view webparts added within the pages .

Regards,

Rahul Vartak

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:19 AM
  • This is partially possible by using audience targeting feature. Create as many view as you want and bind all views one by one in list AllItems view(Allitems.aspx).  While adding the view in AllItems page you have to do the audience targeting. Below are details steps.

1. Create view A, B, C for list TestList

2. Create user group X, Y, Z

3. Open the TestList, bu default all items will display in AllItems.aspx page

4. Edit the page by using Site Action

5. Click on the Modify Shared Web Part link of TestList . Now select the View A from selected dropdown

6. Go to Advanced section and select user group in the target audience. Apply the changes

7. Add the TestList web part again to the same AllItems.aspx page.

7. Repeat the step 5 and 6 for other two views and set the target audience respectively.

8. Now the AllItems.aspx page will have three web part for one list i.e TestList

Note: It has some limitation, you will come to know when you follow above steps.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Senthilrajan Kaliyaperumal

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:51 AM
  • In addition to Senthilrajan Kaliyaperumal reply, here is link for snap for you ref.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/433486/How-to-set-view-level-permissions-out-of-the-box-i

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Friday, February 15, 2013 5:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Zoref,

Please see below discussion.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/is-IS/project2010custprog/thread/a3336775-6768-4268-9147-a071abc690ea

Suggestion is to use webpart pages for these 15 views and give permission to these pages or to the list view webparts added within the pages .

Regards,

Rahul Vartak

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:19 AM
  • This is partially possible by using audience targeting feature. Create as many view as you want and bind all views one by one in list AllItems view(Allitems.aspx).  While adding the view in AllItems page you have to do the audience targeting. Below are details steps.

1. Create view A, B, C for list TestList

2. Create user group X, Y, Z

3. Open the TestList, bu default all items will display in AllItems.aspx page

4. Edit the page by using Site Action

5. Click on the Modify Shared Web Part link of TestList . Now select the View A from selected dropdown

6. Go to Advanced section and select user group in the target audience. Apply the changes

7. Add the TestList web part again to the same AllItems.aspx page.

7. Repeat the step 5 and 6 for other two views and set the target audience respectively.

8. Now the AllItems.aspx page will have three web part for one list i.e TestList

Note: It has some limitation, you will come to know when you follow above steps.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Senthilrajan Kaliyaperumal

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:51 AM
  • In addition to Senthilrajan Kaliyaperumal reply, here is link for snap for you ref.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/433486/How-to-set-view-level-permissions-out-of-the-box-i

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Friday, February 15, 2013 5:38 AM