none
DependsOnDimension: How It Works? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've read about it that..

Specifies the identifier for any other dimension on which the current dimension depends. If set, this property indicates that the contents of the current dimension are dependent on the contents of the other dimension.

I tried it one of my Dimension, but when I browse it, then it seams that there is no effects Please any one explain how it can be seen effective.

Basically I have Dealer Dimension and Dealers belongs to Customers. So I set DependsOnDimension to Customer in Dealer Dimension. But I do not know how to see it effectively.

Thanks in advance

Bhudev

Friday, July 6, 2007 9:55 AM

Answers

• DependsOnDimension is really just a hint for use when designing aggregations using the Aggregation Design Wizard or the Usage Based Optimization Wizard.  Normally the aggregation design algorithm estimates the size of aggregations assuming dimesions are independent, but this property lets it know that one dimension is strongly determined by another dimension.  This should not affect your browsing experience in any way.

In Analysis Services 2000, DependsOnDimension was also used as part of the definition of virtual dimensions as a way of specifying the source for virtual dimension's levels.

Friday, July 6, 2007 5:28 PM

All replies

• Show us an image of your datasource view...

More details friend!

Regards!

Friday, July 6, 2007 2:03 PM
  • DependsOnDimension is really just a hint for use when designing aggregations using the Aggregation Design Wizard or the Usage Based Optimization Wizard.  Normally the aggregation design algorithm estimates the size of aggregations assuming dimesions are independent, but this property lets it know that one dimension is strongly determined by another dimension.  This should not affect your browsing experience in any way.

In Analysis Services 2000, DependsOnDimension was also used as part of the definition of virtual dimensions as a way of specifying the source for virtual dimension's levels.

Friday, July 6, 2007 5:28 PM