none
SP2 installation error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm trying to install SP2 and I get the following error.  I have local administrator rights, so I know that isn't the issue.

Time: 03/08/2007 14:50:58.125
    KB Number: KB921896
    Machine: ICIS-SQL-SRVR
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 family, Standard Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 3790)
    Package Language: 1033 (ENU)
    Package Platform: x86
    Package SP Level: 2
    Package Version: 3042
    Command-line parameters specified:
    Cluster Installation: No

**********************************************************************************
    Prerequisites Check & Status
    SQLSupport: Passed

**********************************************************************************
    Products Detected                         Language  Level  Patch Level       Platform  Edition
    Setup Support Files                       ENU                     9.2.3042  x86      
    Database Services (MSSQLSERVER)           ENU       SP1    2005.090.2047.00  x86       ENTERPRISE
    Integration Services                      ENU       SP2       9.00.3042.00  x86       ENTERPRISE
    SQL Server Native Client                  ENU                 9.00.3042.00  x86      
    Client Components                         ENU       SP2           9.2.3042  x86       ENTERPRISE
    MSXML 6.0 Parser                          ENU                  6.10.1129.0  x86      
    SQLXML4                                   ENU                 9.00.3042.00  x86      
    Backward Compatibility                    ENU                    8.05.2004  x86      

Products Disqualified & Reason
    Product                                   Reason

Processes Locking Files
    Process Name          Feature               Type          User Name                  PID

Product Installation Status
    Product                   : Setup Support Files
    Product Version (Previous): 3042
    Product Version (Final)   :
    Status                    : Not Selected
    Log File                  :
    Error Description         :
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product                   : Database Services (MSSQLSERVER)
    Product Version (Previous): 2047
    Status                    : Failure
    Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB921896_sqlrun_sql.msp.log
    Error Number              : 1920
    Error Description         : MSP Error: 1920  Service 'SQLWriter' (SQLWriter) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product                   : Integration Services
    Product                   : SQL Server Native Client
    Product                   : Client Components
    Product                   : MSXML 6.0 Parser
    Product Version (Previous): 1129
    Product                   : SQLXML4
    Product                   : Backward Compatibility
    Product Version (Previous): 2004

Summary
         One or more products failed to install, see above for details
         Exit Code Returned: 1920

If I need to provide any additional information, please let me know.

Thanks!

-tim

Friday, March 9, 2007 1:00 AM

Answers

• I had the same problem, and I found an easier way:

Browse your SQL 2005 installation CD, and in the setup folder you should see a file called SQLWriter.msi (It may be in a subfolder of the setup folder - I can't remember the exact location).

Execute the msi file - it will install the missing SQL 2005 VSS Writer service.

After that your SP2 installation should succeed.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 5:41 PM

All replies

• Looks like the "SQL Server VSS Writer" service is not starting. Try starting the service manually by going to Services (Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services). Look for the service called "SQL Server VSS Writer". Right-click and select "Start". Does it start? If it does not check the acount being used by right-clicking and choosing Properties. Switch to Log On tab and select "Local System Account". Press the OK to exit out of the dialog.  Try starting the server again. If it starts, run the installation again.

Thanks,

Peter Saddow

Friday, March 9, 2007 2:55 AM
  • I did check that at first, but I don't have it installed.  I checked again and theres no "SQL Server VSS Writer" listed as a service.  So the SP2 hotfix is looking to start something that I don't have.

Please advise...

thanks!

-tim

Friday, March 9, 2007 5:19 PM
  • Products Detected                         Language  Level  Patch Level       Platform  Edition
    Setup Support Files                       ENU                     9.2.3042  x86      
    Database Services (MSSQLSERVER)           ENU       SP1    2005.090.2047.00  x86       ENTERPRISE
    Integration Services                      ENU       SP2       9.00.3042.00  x86       ENTERPRISE
    SQL Server Native Client                  ENU                 9.00.3042.00  x86      
    Client Components                         ENU       SP2           9.2.3042  x86       ENTERPRISE
    MSXML 6.0 Parser                          ENU                  6.10.1129.0  x86      
    SQLXML4                                   ENU                 9.00.3042.00  x86      
    Backward Compatibility                    ENU                    8.05.2004  x86      

Based on this log content, Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer has been uninstalled from your machine (maybe by accident) before you applying SP2. Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer will be installed automaticallywhen SQL Server Engine is selected. Please repair SQL Server Engine first before you apply SP2.

Friday, March 9, 2007 7:28 PM
  • I had/have the same problem.  There is no VSS writer.  I am running developer 32b edition.  I had installed Sp1.  No idea how or when the VSS writer was deleted.
    I tried to repair the installation and tried all of the possibilities that I could think of with no luck.
    Finally unistalled SQL Server and Analysis Engine and reinstalled.  The VSS writer now shows up in the list of items to upgrade, bottom item.
    The SP2 upgrade was successful.

There's got to be an easier way than having to uninstall and then re-install........
    Monday, April 16, 2007 3:44 PM
  • I had the same problem, and I found an easier way:

Browse your SQL 2005 installation CD, and in the setup folder you should see a file called SQLWriter.msi (It may be in a subfolder of the setup folder - I can't remember the exact location).

Execute the msi file - it will install the missing SQL 2005 VSS Writer service.

After that your SP2 installation should succeed.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 5:41 PM
  • Thank  you, that was awesome information.

I was able to just install the VSS Writer and the sp2 completed fine.

Friday, May 4, 2007 5:44 PM
  • +1 for Milenz's tip.

Thanks very much, worked beautifully.

Sunday, July 1, 2007 1:19 PM
  • A+++ information, milenz!  I just wish I'd found your solution before I spent HOURS trying to debug this!

Thanks again!

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:12 PM