none
instance names of the SQL Server ?

Question

• How do you find out the instance names of the  SQL Server ?

You can log into the Windows server with the Administrator priviledge and a Window account with sysadmin priviledge but you don't know the instance name of the SQL Server.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you don't know what the instance name is to login to SQL Server Management Studio you can logon to the server and then check the instance name in SQL Server Configuration Manager > SQL Server Services and the name in the parenthesis next to SQL Server is the name of the instance.

If you can login you can to SQL Server Management Studio > Registered Servers > Double click the server, open the Object Explorer > Right click to select the properties window > General Tab - to see the ServerName (instance name). Or as a query: -

select @@servername + '\' + @@servicename

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog, Twitter or Hire Me.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

• Proposed as answer by SivaReddyG Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Maggie LuoModerator Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:02 PM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:31 AM
  • Hello,

If you are logged into the Windows server with the Administrator priviledge, go to services and look for "SQL Server (XXXXXX)" services, where XXXXXX is the instnace name. Note that you might find for "SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)" which is the default sql instance. Then from SSMS you can connect to the instance using the servername and the instance name (MYSERVER\XXXXXX).

Javier Villegas | @javier_villhttp://sql-javier-villegas.blogspot.com/

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:58 PM
  • Hi quanongsql,

An instance is either the default instance or a named instance. The default instance name is MSSQLSERVER; it does not require a client to specify the name of the instance to make a connection. A named instance is determined by the user during Setup.

You could click start and input services in the input box. Then go to services, you could see SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) or SQL Server (XXXXX).  MSSQLSERVER is the default instance and XXXXX is the named instance. You could use ComputerName to login the default instance or use ComputerName\XXXXX to login the named instance.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 7:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you don't know what the instance name is to login to SQL Server Management Studio you can logon to the server and then check the instance name in SQL Server Configuration Manager > SQL Server Services and the name in the parenthesis next to SQL Server is the name of the instance.

If you can login you can to SQL Server Management Studio > Registered Servers > Double click the server, open the Object Explorer > Right click to select the properties window > General Tab - to see the ServerName (instance name). Or as a query: -

select @@servername + '\' + @@servicename

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog, Twitter or Hire Me.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

• Proposed as answer by SivaReddyG Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Maggie LuoModerator Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:02 PM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:31 AM
  • Hello,

If you are logged into the Windows server with the Administrator priviledge, go to services and look for "SQL Server (XXXXXX)" services, where XXXXXX is the instnace name. Note that you might find for "SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)" which is the default sql instance. Then from SSMS you can connect to the instance using the servername and the instance name (MYSERVER\XXXXXX).

Javier Villegas | @javier_villhttp://sql-javier-villegas.blogspot.com/

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:58 PM
  • Hi quanongsql,

An instance is either the default instance or a named instance. The default instance name is MSSQLSERVER; it does not require a client to specify the name of the instance to make a connection. A named instance is determined by the user during Setup.

You could click start and input services in the input box. Then go to services, you could see SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) or SQL Server (XXXXX).  MSSQLSERVER is the default instance and XXXXX is the named instance. You could use ComputerName to login the default instance or use ComputerName\XXXXX to login the named instance.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 7:21 AM
  • Hi Quanongsql,

Please refer http://www.straightpathsql.com/archives/2009/02/what-sql-instances-are-installed-on-my-network/

Thanks
    Manish

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:45 AM