Best FREE data modeling tool RRS feed

Answers

• Erwin's Free "Community" version only supports 25 objects.

Here is the best list of free tools I have found.

I've never found a good free modeler.

Andy Tauber
    Data Architect
    The Vancouver Clinic
    Website | LinkedIn

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by Andy Tauber Friday, October 24, 2014 8:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kalman Toth Saturday, October 25, 2014 4:55 PM
    Friday, October 24, 2014 8:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Kalman,

According to my knowledge, Microsoft Office Visio is helpful for building data model. For more information, please review this article: Create a Database Model (also known as Entity Relationship diagram).

Besides, you can also use other third-party tools such as Erwin, SQL Power Architect to design SQL Server database. However, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any the third party software or information.

There is also a discussion about free data modeling tool in the following thread for your reference.
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b70d2cdb-dc7f-4e89-a0ae-9dbf5687199e/free-data-modelling-tool?forum=databasedesign

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Friday, October 24, 2014 2:52 AM
  • Is Visio free?

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect SQL Server 2014 Database Design
    New Book / Kindle: Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2014

Friday, October 24, 2014 6:28 AM
  • Is Visio free?

Hi Kalman,

Currently, there is no free version of Microsoft Office Visio. However, you can use the Microsoft Office Visio 60-Day trial version. Below is the download link.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-visio-professional-2013 

Thank,
    Lydia Zhang

Friday, October 24, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Unfortunately, the good ones all cost money.  I have not found a decent FREE modeler.   If you do, please let me know.

As for Visio, it is not free and MS removed the reverse engineer feature, so it is less useful for an existing solution. 

Friday, October 24, 2014 12:33 PM
  • As for Visio, it is not free and MS removed the reverse engineer feature, so it is less useful for an existing solution. 

... and forward engineering was never part of the stand alone Visio product....it requires some other software mostly big companies have.....

ERwin has a FREE light version....probably crippled....

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect SQL Server 2014 Database Design
    New Book / Kindle: Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2014

• Edited by Kalman Toth Friday, October 24, 2014 5:32 PM
    Friday, October 24, 2014 5:25 PM
  • Erwin's Free "Community" version only supports 25 objects.

Here is the best list of free tools I have found.

I've never found a good free modeler.

Andy Tauber
    Data Architect
    The Vancouver Clinic
    Website | LinkedIn

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by Andy Tauber Friday, October 24, 2014 8:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kalman Toth Saturday, October 25, 2014 4:55 PM
    Friday, October 24, 2014 8:47 PM
  • I have not tried it myself, but an MVP colleague seemed to think that this is one is as good as ErWin:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/datamodeler/overview/index.html

And, yes, despite the link it supports SQL Server, although from what I could read only SQL 2005. I have not tried it myself.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Friday, October 24, 2014 10:18 PM
  • Depending on purpose. Visual Paradigm community edition deliver a fine tool for modeling.
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 11:07 AM
  • So far, I have tried many online tools. However, I will list you some of the tools that helped me a lot.

AquaData Studio ER Modeler

A free 14-day evaluation copy can be downloaded. The purchase price includes 12-month support. After the first year, support can purchased for 35% of the original license price.

"Discounted licences are available for qualified Academic users and free licenses are available for qualified Open Source Software (OSS) Developers."

Price: $400

Dezign

A recent upgrade offers significantly improved features. Supports Forward and Reverse Engineering for about 20 different Databases.

Price: Offers a Free download or starts at $259 to buy.

SQLDbm

SQLDBM offers you an easy, convenient way to design your database absolutely anywhere on any browser, working away without need for any extra database engine or database modelling tools or apps. Use SQLDBM to design and manage both large and small databases and data models on the fly. All while incorporating any needed database rules and objects such as database keys, schemas, indexes, column constraints and relationships.

Price: Free

Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:14 PM
  • SqlDBM is the best tool, from all existing tools in market. Many many plus points: free, very intuitive, modern UI, no credentials, no downloads etc

Friday, October 13, 2017 5:07 PM
  • I have worked with Er/One Data Modeler and found it good, simple and conspicuous, you can try it...

Sunday, July 15, 2018 4:42 PM