none
Page Level Security in SSRS 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on a project where we have to migrate the Actuate reports to SSRS. As you might know Actuate has a special feature called 'Page Level Security' where based on the user security level required pages will be displayed or made hidden.

Is it possible to implement the 'Page Level Security' feature in SSRS 2012? If yes how? I did a bit research but was not able to find relevant information so thought of seeking experts guidance.

I would really appreciate if anyone has any inputs/work around solutions to implement Page Level Secuirty in SSRS 2012.

Thanks in advance,

Abhiyanta

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:41 AM

Answers

• One workaround might be to create the master report that shows all the data and make that available appropriately.  Then to the people who need to be limited. create a separate folder for which they have access to and link the report there.  Then use default hidden parameters to adjust what they can see.  I suppose you could also create shared datasets that limit the data and have reports use them for the specific people based on the folder strategy mentioned.  Otherwise you could try and pass the userid of the person executing the report to a stored proc that the report uses and only return the data they are allowed to see as well.
    Wednesday, September 24, 2014 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Abhiyanta,

According to your description, you want achieve the Actuate "page level security" in SSRS. Right?

The "Page Level Security" is a build-in feature of Actuate. In Reporting Services, we don't have any security inside of a report. We can only grant permissions to users with different role assignment.

Reference:
    http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=54556

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
    Simon Hou

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 2:55 PM
  • One workaround might be to create the master report that shows all the data and make that available appropriately.  Then to the people who need to be limited. create a separate folder for which they have access to and link the report there.  Then use default hidden parameters to adjust what they can see.  I suppose you could also create shared datasets that limit the data and have reports use them for the specific people based on the folder strategy mentioned.  Otherwise you could try and pass the userid of the person executing the report to a stored proc that the report uses and only return the data they are allowed to see as well.
    Wednesday, September 24, 2014 3:18 PM