none
SQL Express 2012 service not starting under NT Service\MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS account

Question

• When I installed SQL Express 2012 With Advanced Services (64 bit) on Windows 7 64 bit, it installed the SQL Server Service running under NT Service\MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS account. Then I started using the SQL server and it worked perfectly.

I had set the service option to start “Manually”. A month or so later when I try to start the service it keeps giving me the following error:

“The request failed or the service did not respond in a timely fashion.
    Consult the event log or other applicable error logs for details.”

My desktop is in the company domain but the SQL Express is installed locally on my machine. I noticed that following the company policy of force changing my password, I had changed my domain password recently. However, I assume the NT Service\MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS account has its own password that I don’t know what would it be? When I go to properties of the service, I see under “This account:” the account name as NT Service\MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS and then I see the *********** under password. But I don’t know what password to type there. I tried my own password and got the following message: Service did not start due to logon failure.

Also, please note that I can start the service under Local System account but Microsoft discourage people from using this account as it gives too many privileges.

Please help. Thanks.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:18 PM

Answers

• Share the error message you are getting when try to start the services first time & got below error :-

“The request failed or the service did not respond in a timely fashion. Consult the event log or other applicable error logs for details.”

Try below for resolution :-

Again browse the NT Service\MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS user as logon account >  leave password the blank > Apply & ok > try to start the services.

You can also set a local or domain account to run sql server services.

Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

Saturday, September 1, 2012 7:56 AM