none
Installed SQL Express 2017 onto machine with an already installed 2014 RRS feed

• Question

• 2017 installed beside 2014.  So now I have both.  My question is do I have to leave 2014 on my machine?  Do I have to have  both or can I remove the previous version?  I am not concerned about any projects already using 2014.  I'll deal with that.  I can start over with 2017 but can I safely remove 2014 now or do I have to keep it?  Thanks.
    Sunday, March 22, 2020 7:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• No one of us can say if you still need version 2014; it's you decision to uninstall it or not. Anyway, it's a save procedure to uninstall it and may reinstall it if required.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Sunday, March 22, 2020 7:27 PM
  • Hi markchiffon,

You can remove SQL Server 2014 if you really don't need to use it, this will not affect other SQL Server instances. They are separate instances.

But before removing it, it's best to be prepared to save the data. If necessary, you could  refer to the data migration from SQL Server 2014 to SQL Server 2017.

To properly remove any program from Windows you should be going through Add/Remove programs feature under the control panel. You locate the SQL Server Version you want to remove and uninstalled it. please refer to Uninstall an Existing Instance of SQL Server (Setup).

Of course you can using SQL Server Side-By-Side with Previous Versions of SQL Server, but take care to avoid TCP port number conflicts on IP addresses.

Best Regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 23, 2020 2:57 AM
  • Okay thanks guys for your rapid response.  You've given me the confidence I needed to go ahead and remove 2014.  Its just that with Microsoft and .net framework for example I do believe you have to keep all previous versions installed which is why I don't dare remove any of them.  They apparently aren't backward compatible and stack up.  SQL installs without removing previous version so wasn't sure if this was the same kind of thing.  thanks again.
    Thursday, March 26, 2020 12:15 PM