none
Intermittent runtime error when executing SSIS package RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm in the process of writing a fairly complex SSIS package that reads csv files and goes on to load the content into a SQL Server 2005 database.

I am testing the package by executing it from within a Nant script. My test process resets the data in the target database and then loads data from a known set of test data files. Because it's scripted I can be sure that SSIS is being asked to do the same thing, every time in a consistent way.

When I execute the package I frequently (although not always) get an error message dialog mid-ececution that reads:

Code Snippet

Microsoft Visual c++ Runtime Library

Runtime error!

Program: C...

The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

When I click OK the VS Just-In-Time debugger tells me about an unhandled win32 exception in DTExec.exe [4696] and asks me if I wish to debug (which I do not).

No error is reported by SSIS itself, it literally just stops in its tracks.

I will appreciate any help that can be offered here

Nick
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:09 AM

Answers

• This always means a bug, either in SSIS or in custom/script component (if you have them in the package).

Do you have SP2 installed? If not, please install.

If you have written a custom task or data flow component, or using 3rd party component, this could be a bug in it.

Otherwise, please contact Product Support Services, who might collect the memory dumps and diagnose the problem. It is impossible to do this via forum Smile

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:29 PM

All replies

• This always means a bug, either in SSIS or in custom/script component (if you have them in the package).

Do you have SP2 installed? If not, please install.

If you have written a custom task or data flow component, or using 3rd party component, this could be a bug in it.

Otherwise, please contact Product Support Services, who might collect the memory dumps and diagnose the problem. It is impossible to do this via forum Smile

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:29 PM

• Thanks for the speedy reply.

I should have mentioned - I am running SP2. I'm not using custom tasks / data flow components or 3rd party components.

But I do have a script component in the package, I need to create GUIDs for primary key values.

I will double check the script component and if the error continues I will contact Product Support Services as suggested.

Nick
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 1:19 AM
  • A further update:

I have been able to work around the GUID generation issue and as a result have been able to remove the VB script from my data flows.

Sadly, this has not fixed the problem.

Can you direct me towards Product Support Services - I've been searching for the relevant group to speak to but it's not obvious to me.

Thanks

Nick

Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:37 AM