none
Native Client 11 - Authentication Fails Using SQL Server Login RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

Using SQL Server 19 in this scenario, but the problem persists with a v17 backend as well.  sp_readerrorlog returns "Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 8" only when using Native Client 11 with SQL Server Login credentials.

The server is set for mixed-mode (Windows Integrated and SQL Server Login) authentication.  Authentication scheme is NTLM.  Native Client 11 is set for Named Pipes and TCP/IP protocols.

All other providers function fine using both Integrated Security and SQL Server Logins.  The connection string from the Data Link dialog is passed to open the connection.  With SQLNCLI11, the connection string never contains the PWD= parameter, which I suppose is causing the State 8.  When using any OLE DB provider, or Native Client 10 provider, the PWD= (or Password=) is always returned by the Data Link dialog.  The only exception is when using Native Client 11.

If I pass a manually created, properly formed connection string that includes valid credentials using SQLNCLI11, the symptom remains the same... error with State 8.  It seems to be discarding/ignoring the password.  If I change the connection string to use SSPI, no problem.

I also confirmed that OLE DB Driver for SQL Server handles the SQL Server Login credentials fine, and using that provider, the PWD value is returned by the Data Link dialog in the connection string as expected. 

A bit stumped at the moment.  If you've run into this and know of a solution, please share.

Thank you!

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 9:25 AM

All replies