none
The VSTA designer failed to load: "System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005):

Question

• I've just reinstalled the OS and apps on my PC.  When I open a script task and click "edit script..." I get this message:

------------------------------
    Cannot show Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Applications editor.
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The VSTA designer failed to load:  "System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
       at VSTADTEProvider.Interop.VSTADTEProviderClass.GetDTE(String bstrHostID, UInt32 dwTimeout)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.VSTAHosting.VSTAScriptingEngine.EnsureDTEObject()" (Microsoft.SqlServer.VSTAScriptingLib)

When I run

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE>vsta.exe /hostid SSIS_ScriptTask
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE>vsta.exe /hostid SSIS_ScriptComponent

VSTA fails to start up and I get:

---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2.0
    Registration information for this application needs to be updated. To update, log on as an administrator and run this command:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\vsta.exe /HostID SSIS_ScriptComponent /setup

I've read around the various suggestions on how to fix this and so far have tried the following:

• Reinstalling SQL 2008
    • Removing VSTA (then reinstalling from x86\Setup\trin_aide.msi on the SQL 2008 setup iso)
    • Following the steps in Jason H's blog
    • Doing a repair installation on SQL 2008
    • Running BIDS as administrator
    • Creating a new script task rather than trying to edit an existing one
    • Scouring the registry for "unusual things"...!
    • Counting to 10

None of which have made any difference.

My setup:

• Win 7 Enterprise 64bit
    • SQL 2008 standard (client tools) patched up to SP3 (installed from en_sql_server_2008_developer_x86_x64_ia64_dvd_x14-88839.iso)

It might be worth saying that I have seen this problem previously when I installed SQL 2008 the first time on my current pc (same OS and general environment).  I spent about a day on it and did eventually get it working - but (annoyingly) I can't remember what I did.  Either I am now less able, less lucky or less inspired but I'm getting nowhere this time round.  The one thing that rings a bell is HonestDeer's reply to this previous MSDN post (Wednesday, May 11, 2011 3:30 PM).  I seem to remember I changed a reference somewhere to a different version of VSTA and it started working - can't remember the specifics though..

Please help!

Roger.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 4:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Wrisillito,

Regarding to the error message you provided, since SSIS uses VSTA 2.0, we need to fix that one only if there is SSIS trouble. Visual Studio doesn’t really related to the VSTA install.

Seems  you have problems while opening VSTA inside BIDS to edit SSIS scripts, so please  try one of these methods:
    A. Uninstalling SQL Server 2008 and Reinstalling it may fix the problem.
    B. If you can't do that try the manual approach credit to SSIS script.
    For more information and steps, please follow the blog about VSTA setup and configuration troubles for SSIS 2008 and R2 installations.

Meanwhile you can refer to these threads with the same error as yours
    1. VSTA designer issues with Sql 2008

2. The VSTA designer failed to load

This is SSIS related issue, if this does not work please link to SSIS forum for further help. 

Regards,
    Amber zhang

TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:24 AM
  • Hi Amber,

Thanks for your reply although as I stated in my post I have already done both of the things you have suggested, and I've also read through those MSDN posts - amongst others.  I will repost in the SSIS forum as you suggest, although to me this is an issue related to the installation of SQL server (albeit the client tools only).

cheers,

Roger.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Hi Wrisillito,

Thank you for your update. If the issue you think is realted to SQL installation, please share your summary.txt and SQL error log for further troubleshooting.

Regards,
    Amber zhang

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:06 AM
  • Amber,

Happy to do so - please can you tell me specifically where I find these things?

cheers,

Roger.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:26 AM
  • Hi Wrsillito,

Information Collection

===================

please help collect the following information for further troubleshooting.

1. The stage where the error/issue appeared: Hit the PrintScreen button on keyboard to capture a whole screen shot, copy the picture to a Word doc or MSPaint image and save the screenshot as a file.

2. All the setup log files SQL 2008: By default, they are located at %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\ -- upload all the files in this folder with ZIP format.

3. SQL Error Logs: SQL 2008: By default, they are located at: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.InstanceName\MSSQL\Log -- upload all the files in this folder with ZIP format.

4. Windows Event Logs: Start -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> Export application/system/security event logs with both EVTX & TXT format and send them to me.

Regards,
    Amber zhang

Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:55 AM
  • @amberzhang I'm still having the same issue, where can I send you these information you requested?
    my email address is shaimakem@hotmail.com

@wrsillito
    Did you find the solution for your problem, if you please can share?

Thanks

Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:16 AM
  • Thank you for putting the details of what you tried, Removing VSTA (then reinstalling from x86\Setup\trin_aide.msi on the SQL 2008 setup iso) worked for me!
    • Edited by SamGrantham Wednesday, September 3, 2014 4:00 PM Wording
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 3:58 PM