none
SQL Server 2008 End of Life Info RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This maybe slightly off topic but related to Migration from a business perspective.

I am little confused over the SQL Server 2008/2008 R2 End of Life documentation. As per the following blog: URL, the EOL for both SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 is 7/9/2019. 

How does this apply for the SQL Servers that have been patched with the latest Service Packs. Does it extend the EOL any further? 

Regards,

Vikram

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:21 AM

All replies

• See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=sql%20server%202008%20r2 for more Details including patch Level. 7/9/2019 is for SQL Server 2008 R2 with SP 4; without that SP the Version is already out of Support.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:46 AM
  • Hi Vikram,

I am full agree with Olaf. Microsoft Lifecycle Policy offers 10 years of support (5 years of Mainstream Support and 5 years of Extended Support) for 2008 and 2008 R2 versions of SQL Server. As per the policy, after the end of the Extended Support period there will be no patches or security updates, which may cause security risks. Please refer to Announcing new options for SQL Server 2008 End of Support.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:07 AM
  • Vikram no matter whether SQL Server 2008/2008 R2 is patched to latest SP/CU or not if it is "on-premise" it is not supported after July 2019, unless you give extra bucks to MS (which is BTW too much) to get security updated which I believe only 0.01 % customer will go for.

If SQL Server 2008 R2 is patched to latest SP/CU and is on Azure VM or moved to Managed Instance you get 3 more years of support.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:59 AM