SQL Server Express 2008 R2: unable to patch or uninstall it RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.
    I'm having issues with a SQL Server Express 2008 R2 on a Windows Server 2012 R2 server.
    The SQL service is up and running and I can connect to it with Management Studio.
    But i I want to patch it (ie. with SP3) or I want to uninstall it, I have a lot o problems.

If I try to patch it, the wizard is not able to find any instance running:

If I try to uninstall it I receive this error from MSI:

I have followed many other articles about this problem and I have tryied to reneame the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\UpgradeCodes registry key, but I still have problems.

Do yo have any suggestion about this issue?

Thanks

Friday, June 26, 2020 10:39 AM

All replies

• If I try to patch it, the wizard is not able to find any instance running:

Which patch level do the SQL Server have? Run

SELECT @@VERSION

Which installer have you used? It must be in the same 32/64 bit architecture as your installed SQL Server.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, June 26, 2020 11:09 AM
  • If I try to patch it, the wizard is not able to find any instance running:

Which patch level do the SQL Server have? Run

SELECT @@VERSION

Which installer have you used? It must be in the same 32/64 bit architecture as your installed SQL Server.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Hi,

this is the version:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP1) - 10.50.2500.0 (X64)   Jun 17 2011 00:54:03   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Express Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.2 <X64> (Build 9200: ) (Hypervisor) 

The patch is fort this language and architecture (x64):KB2979597-x64

Friday, June 26, 2020 1:33 PM
  • If you stop the service, are you able to uninstall it? I think you may better try to uninstall it completely and install latest version (SQL 2019) instead.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, June 26, 2020 2:06 PM
  • If you stop the service, are you able to uninstall it? I think you may better try to uninstall it completely and install latest version (SQL 2019) instead.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

I already ried this.
    even if I stop the service, when I try to uninstall it, I receive the MSI error.
    Friday, June 26, 2020 4:37 PM
  • Good day,

Please provide the exact full error message which you get (NOT images but full test from the log file)

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Friday, June 26, 2020 5:03 PM
  • You will require SQL Server installation pack files for installing patches as I suspect Log history folder must be lost. First you need to install SP2 and then SP3 as your current version is SP1 level.
    Saturday, June 27, 2020 2:00 AM
  • Hi thenewmessiah,

To install or update SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3 one will need adminstrative rights on the computer. Please try to restart your computer if possible, and run the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 3 setup as administrator. Please download it from here again. 

For uninstalling SQL server or SQL server SP completely, please follow the steps from below links.
    How to manually uninstall SQL Server.
    Uninstalling SQL Server 2008/2008R2 Service Pack(s)

Extended support for SQL Server 2008 R2 ended on July 9, 2019. Microsoft will no longer release security updates for any version of SQL Server 2008 R2. Don't let your infrastructure and applications go unprotected. Suggest you install a newer version of SQL server, please refer to SQL Server Versions and Build Numbers.
    Hope this could help you.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Monday, June 29, 2020 3:42 AM
    Monday, June 29, 2020 3:24 AM