none
Multiple target environments/Configurations for Data Source View RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a multidimensional SSAS Visual Studio solution.

I have 3 target environments: DEV, UAT, and PROD.

The Data Source (DS) handles multiple Configurations: I can switch to the desired Configuration and edit the DS' Connection String (to target a different database) for this specific Configuration; whenever I switch back to another Configuration the DS Connection String reflects it; so virtually I have 3 DS.

But this automatic Configuration management does not seem to be handled by the Data Source Views (DSV): changing the current Configuration won't change the DSV to reflect the current Configuration's DS settings.

Is it possible to have multiple Configurations for a single DSV or must I create one DSV per target environment?
    If so, I see no point in having the DS handles multiple Configuration, but not the DSV, as it would force me to create 1 DS per DSV.

So I must be missing something.

Thanks in advance,

Mickael

Monday, October 21, 2019 6:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Mickael,

Thanks for your question.

>>Is it possible to have multiple Configurations for a single DSV or must I create one DSV per target >>environment?

No, it is impossible, unless you could put tables from multiple configurations into single configurations. It depends on your business design, you could create one DSV per separate target environment, also, you could create one DSV for multiple target environments.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 6:09 AM
  • Hi Mickael,

Thanks for your reply.

You thought could be done.

As long as source DBs of different servers have the same schema/structure, you could just change connection string of data source and target server of deployment.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Pragmateek Monday, October 28, 2019 5:31 PM
    Friday, October 25, 2019 7:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Mickael,

Thanks for your question.

>>Is it possible to have multiple Configurations for a single DSV or must I create one DSV per target >>environment?

No, it is impossible, unless you could put tables from multiple configurations into single configurations. It depends on your business design, you could create one DSV per separate target environment, also, you could create one DSV for multiple target environments.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 6:09 AM
  • Hi Will,

Thanks for your reply. :)

So across all the Configurations we must have the same schema/structure, only the source DB of the DS and the target DB of the cube can be configured.

What development workflow could be followed, maybe:
    - update the DEV DB schema,
    - create a new DEV DSV targetting the DEV DB,
    - copy the PROD or UAT cube, make the copy point to this DSV, and adjust the cube structure,
    - deploy to DEV SSAS,
    - when validated replace the UAT DSV and cube by these ones and deploy,
    - finally do the same for PROD.

What do you think?

Thanks again, :)

Mickael

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 10:40 AM
  • Hi Mickael,

Thanks for your reply.

You thought could be done.

As long as source DBs of different servers have the same schema/structure, you could just change connection string of data source and target server of deployment.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Pragmateek Monday, October 28, 2019 5:31 PM
    Friday, October 25, 2019 7:14 AM
  • Hi Will,

Ok thanks for the confirmation. :)

Monday, October 28, 2019 5:42 PM