none
Installation Instructions RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone suggest a good book or tutorial on installing Sql Server Express as an embedded database with an application?  My company makes a software product sold in retail and we sell 10,000+ units per year.  I have been going over the MSDN site, these forums, Technet etc. and I haven't found a good, inclusive instruction set on installing SQL Server Express with zero user intervention.  This is very important for this type of application.  The underlying database needs to be invisible to the user.  I have looked at several in-process databases including SQL Server Compact and VistaDB, but they have shortcomings that make them not a good fit for this application.  They are definitely much easier to install, though.

I found the MSDN articles on "Embedding Sql Server Express in your Customer Application" that talks about creating a wrapper to install SQL Express and the application.  It just seems like there are lots of security issues (with Vista and UAC) that have to be dealt with, configuration issues, issues with creating databases in code once your application starts, etc. 

I am looking for a good technical reference on doing this type of work.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, December 21, 2007 10:55 PM

All replies