none
Project/Package deployment (MSDB) vs Catalog (SSISDB) RRS feed

• Question

• On SQL Server 2016, which is a better option (more secure, best practice, recommended, etc.), deployment of SSIS to MSDB (project or package) vs Catalog deployment. I've used both, personally prefer Catalog, but, was told recently that it has more security issues and it's harder to manage by the DBAs. Was surprised by this answer from the DBA team.

Adrian Hernandez

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 4:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Adrian,

This question is moot, it is not debatable: in SSIS 2018 there is only one option - Catalog.

In my personal view, the departure from MSDB is a good thing that adds to the security.

But at the end of the things both are just databases.

To achieve good security place your server instances in the DMZ (no internet or extranet access), always use Windows integrated security.

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

• Marked as answer by ahpitre Thursday, October 17, 2019 5:44 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 5:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Adrian,

There is no more option to use MSDB for SSIS packages in SSIS 2016.

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:41 PM
  • Hi ahpitre,

The following links will be helpful:

Best Regards,

Mona

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:26 AM
  • From your experience, is Catalog deployment more vulnerable or have more security issues than the old MSDB deployment model? I suspect that this is not the case if it's properly done and that maybe the DBA team simply want's to avoid additional work that is needed to configure/administer Catalog.

Adrian Hernandez

Thursday, October 17, 2019 4:31 PM
  • Hi Adrian,

This question is moot, it is not debatable: in SSIS 2018 there is only one option - Catalog.

In my personal view, the departure from MSDB is a good thing that adds to the security.

But at the end of the things both are just databases.

To achieve good security place your server instances in the DMZ (no internet or extranet access), always use Windows integrated security.

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

• Marked as answer by ahpitre Thursday, October 17, 2019 5:44 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 5:30 PM
  • I agree. Thanks for your input.

Adrian Hernandez

Thursday, October 17, 2019 5:44 PM