The user or group name is not recognized. (rsUnknownUserName) RRS feed

• Question

• SQL 2008 R2 Reporting Services

When trying to add a group from Active Directory onto the reporting services security we get the following error

The user or group name 'groupname' is not recognized. (rsUnknownUserName)

We are able to add users from Active Directory this only fails on group.

Jason Spencer

Monday, January 28, 2013 11:28 AM

Answers

• Removing the server from the domain then re-joining to the domain has resolved the issue

Jason Spencer

• Marked as answer by JasonSpencer Monday, February 4, 2013 11:44 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 11:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

The error “The user or group name<name> is not recognized (rsUnknowUserName)” means the Report Server cannot find the user from domain or local users or groups of Report Server. Reporting Services stored users with users’ SID. After we tyoe a username in the username textbox, the Reporting Services will user the method “LookupAccountName” in Window API to get the users’ SID. If the API cannot get the SID of the user, Reporting Services will throw the expression “rsUnknowUserName”.

Here has some threads that similar to yours, and there have solved the issue, you can try the solutions, for more information, please see:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/operationsmanagerreporting/thread/64ac1fa7-4535-4369-9bf6-1323e00be543
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/fbc2728e-425a-4666-9810-1300b7881ee6/

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:28 AM
  • Hi Charlie

Thank you for your reply. I have discovered that there are some issues with the trust relationship between the server and domain. I am going  to re-join the server to the domain at a suitable time and then I will retest and feedback if this has resolves the issue.

Kind Regards

Jason

Jason Spencer

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Removing the server from the domain then re-joining to the domain has resolved the issue

Jason Spencer

• Marked as answer by JasonSpencer Monday, February 4, 2013 11:44 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 11:44 AM
  • right click on computer managment and enter to local users and group >>users >> check IUSR is correct in name same as  machine name if not rename it .
    Sunday, April 27, 2014 8:03 AM
  • Check out if your group is Security or Distribution!And another thing that can solve your problem,try: instead of DOMAINNAME\Username change the format to Username@domain.local
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 12:19 PM
  • If anyone is as dumb as I...

I was configuring SSMS for another site of ours, created the group on a DC outside of that site and just had to wait for replication to take place.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 5:01 PM