none
Error when trying to connect to SSAS db via Excel - Security database on this server does not have a computer account for this workstation RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to connect to a SSAS db/cube in Excel and I am getting this error when it tries to connect:

The following system error occurred: The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship. .

I am then prompted to enter credentials to connect to the SSAS database via the Multidemensional Connection Wizard.  I enter my credentials and then I get another error stating that the login is invalid.  I click to cancel out, and I get an error "An operation that uses the database driver could not be completed.   "

What's strange about these errors, is that the connection method worked perfectly fine last week, and no changes were made to the database/SQL Server. 

Systems Info:
    The server is SQL Server 2005 (SP2) on Windows Server 2008
    The data source on the SSAS db is using Windows Authentication to connect to the database, Service Account for Impersonation Information.  (I tested the other methods with no success)
    Using Excel 2007 SP2 for trying to connect.  Using a cube file isn't an option here as I have customer measurment groups created on the cube.

Any Ideas?  I did a search for this error here and only saw 1 entry in reference to issues with deployment. (Which I am not experiencing)
    Monday, July 20, 2009 5:46 PM

Answers

• The windows account under which you are trying to connect to SSAS cube.

Ashwani Roy

My Blog

Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

• Marked as answer by N. Edmonds Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:47 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2009 9:36 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi

There is an issue with the account that you are using to perform all these operations. You should contact the network admin and ask him to check if this account is Locked or has been disabled or something has changed during some patching over the weekend. If you still dont find the issue , ask him to delete and recreate this account with same set of permission that it has before.

This will solve your problem.

Ashwani Roy

My Blog

Monday, July 20, 2009 7:04 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Ashwani - What kind of account, is this for the SQL server or network domain?

Monday, July 20, 2009 8:07 PM
  • The windows account under which you are trying to connect to SSAS cube.

Ashwani Roy

My Blog

• Marked as answer by N. Edmonds Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:47 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2009 9:36 PM
    Answerer
  • Albeit a bit extreme, I ended up having to re-image the workstation, which seems to have fixed the issue.   (The install of the O/S was cauing problems as-is)

Thanks for your help however!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:46 PM
  • ** Update: 2010-07-17 This issue is now resolved with the following Microsoft hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976419

Hi N. Edmonds.

Did you by chance install Windows 7 on your workstation (the one you re-imaged)?  I understand that this issue arises in Windows 7 due to a component called "Windows Live Sign In Assistant".  From my understanding, you basically have 3 options:

1. Configure Kerberos on your SSAS server http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917409
    2. Uninstall Windows Live Sign In Assistant on each workstation
    3. Use SSPI=NTLM in your connection string to force NTLM as the Security Support Provider Interface

#1 is probably the preferred method, as it addresses the problem server-side, whereas #2 and #3 are both client-side workarounds.

Hope this helps.

Harlan Smith

• Proposed as answer by hhewson Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:46 PM
    • Edited by hesmith Sunday, July 18, 2010 12:30 AM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:54 AM
  • Hi Hesmith, you're wonderful giving all the options. It solved our user's problem who had Windows 7 installed. Thank you!!!
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:33 PM
  • I uesd #2 Uninstall Windows Live Sign In Assistant on each workstation that resolve my problems.

Further question, does it a bug in "Windows Live Sign In Assistant" ?
    Because the problem resolved just after uninstall it.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 9:34 AM