Database in recovery

Question

• Our server ran out of disk space during a stored procedure process. We were able to free up some space, stopped all SQL services, restarted all SQL services and now SQL Management Studio shows the database to be in recovery.  Is there a way to monitor this to ensure progress is being made and to estimate when it might complete?

Friday, March 30, 2007 7:36 PM

Answers

• I don't know it can be checked programatically but you can sql error log where you recovery progress will be recorded.

Looks like you guys shutdown the servers in the middle of big transaction....

There will no other option than waiting to recover...

Saturday, March 31, 2007 5:18 AM

All replies

• I don't know it can be checked programatically but you can sql error log where you recovery progress will be recorded.

Looks like you guys shutdown the servers in the middle of big transaction....

There will no other option than waiting to recover...

Saturday, March 31, 2007 5:18 AM
  • There is a way, via T-SQL to view process progress but apparently not via GUI.  The database did eventually recover and we have submitted for a new server as it ran out of disk space during a stored procedure run.

Thanks!

Monday, April 2, 2007 1:47 PM
  • Yes I am facing the same issue. My DB size is 600 GB. 

In general DB will accessible in 1 -2 hours span of time. But in the back ground, system is recovering the database. You can check this process in SQL Server Log(s), which gives you in complete details of "how much time it will take to recover"

Let me know if you need any furthur help.

Regards

Srik.

• Proposed as answer by Clément Friday, March 25, 2011 10:46 AM
    Monday, June 30, 2008 7:59 PM
  • I also faced this problem ... i generally delate the log files .. or restart the sql service   which worked for me ...

Thanks,

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 12:30 PM
  • It did work, Thank you.

By looking at the SQL server log you can see exactly how the recovery process is going.

(You have to refresh the view once the process has been completed for the message to clear)

Thanks again Srikhar.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 5:30 PM
  • Hi,

I had a similar problem, i used Stellar Phoenix SQL Recovery , i took long time to repair my data base but every thng was back.

Singh
    Friday, October 16, 2009 5:01 PM
  •  You can also try Stellar SQL Repair. You can download it from www.stellarinfo.com, good but expensive software.

Singh

Friday, October 16, 2009 5:05 PM
  • I had bad master database and sql wouldn’t load. I tried this product from systools. It didn’t fix anything. I had another database file that had a few customer records that were damaged. The MDf still ran, mind you. I ran systools and it cut the file it into a quarter of the size. My application wouldn’t even load the first of the file. Save your money I think they posted all this stuff here. Just look at how many websites they have. A legit company wouldn’t do that. If you don’t believe me look at their money back guarantee. If they recover 30% or can’t get a copy of your private database (mine is full of customer information) no refund.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Mostly business companies depend to make database on MS SQL server database, its very difficult problem if database get corrupt due to any reason. So have suggest you free trail  and best tool for SQL server corruption and deleted database.

Visit here:- http://www.filesrecoverytool.com/sql-database-repair.html

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 11:10 AM
  • Did you try from the sys.dm_exec_requests DMV. it has a percentage complete. but it does not work for all operation. Just give it a try.

Blog: http://dbfriend.blogspot.com

Sunday, July 20, 2014 12:06 PM
  • I could NOT recommend Stellar Data Recovery! I had a HORRIBLE experience with this product - more specifically, the not-so stellar support and I could not recommend this product.  

I used their SQL Database recover product to try to repair a 166 GB MS SQL Database.  It scanned for a long time, counting up millions of records, and ending with "Selected MS SQL database repaired successfully.  Click "OK" to register your copy and save repaired database"  It was a convincing prompt.. I could see tables in the navigation pane.  After having purchased the software to save the "successfully repaired database", it was an unusable 33 MB database.  I contacted support and they had me jump through a variety of hoops which was unsuccessful.  They requested remote access to assist in the recovery but still no success.  I requested a refund and support directed me to their refund department.  Having explained everything, they denied the refund and asked that I contact support for assistance, which I had already explained I had and they sent me to the refund department.  Conceding, I did a second time, with the same results.. And round-and-round we went.  I soon figured out that this is simply a canned email response, as I've seen this same email many times in pursuit of a refund:

"Thank you for letting us know about your recent experience with Stellar Data Recovery.. We apologize if our services did not meet your expectations and appreciate you for taking time and sharing your valuable feedback.

Our goal is to get our client's valuable data back and, provide a consistently reliable & an exemplary level of customer service.

Therefore, we request to kindly co-operate with us and take our technical support assistance so that, they can help in resolving your issue.

Your cooperation will be appreciated."

Frustrated, I tried a competitors product.  It too scanned for a long time, but in the end, it was forthcoming that it was unable to repair the database successfully, and didn't try to seduce me into buying their product.  I suspect that Stellar's scan will ALWAYS say "Selected MS SQL database repaired successfully.  Click "OK" to register your copy and save repaired database" - DON'T BELIEVE IT!  Be sure to interrogate the log.  If the recovery is successful, good for you; if not, be warned that there is nothing you can do or say to get your money back.  In short, forget about any satisfaction guarantee or their refund policy.
    Monday, March 5, 2018 6:51 PM