none
Advice on multiple instances for SSAS and SSRS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am currently studying SQL and SharePoint BI features, and I made a humble (read: small) SQL 2012 (SP1) server.

I've been using this server to learn about reports, but now I plan to install SharePoint 2013 with PowerPivot and Analysis Services.

My concern is about the different instance types for SSAS, as well as SSRS.

I would like to use both SSRS in Native Mode and SP integration mode on this server. In previous versions of SQL, to make things easier I would simply have the default MSSQLSERVER instance running SSRS in native mode, and a second instance named SHAREPOINT running SSRS in SP integrated mode.

I have noticed however (as I read the Wrox book Professional Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services) that I can now have both SSRS modes under the same SQL instance (in fact the SSRS in SP mode is now a shared feature?) -- for the SSRS to run in both modes, I reckon I wouldn't need to have a second SQL instance just for that. Am I right?

The issue that is bugging me the most is the new options for SSAS mode. I would like to have both the tabular mode and the dimensional mode on this server, and I am wondering what would be the best way to achieve this.

I reckon that I could install the tabular mode in my default instance, and then have a separate SSAS instance running in dimensional mode. However, are there any caveats I should be aware of?

For instance, in the dimensional instance I am planning to only have SSAS installed (no database engine), and have this instance access databases in the default instance. Would that work? are there any considerations I would need to take?

Thanks everybody for the help!

Regards,

P.

Friday, March 8, 2013 2:35 PM

Answers

• Hi pmdci,

We can install Reporting Services with both Native mode and SharePoint mode, please refer to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/048169b3-512c-41e4-895a-0416eff41268

Each mode is exclusive of the other. A server that is configured for tabular mode cannot run Analysis Services databases that contain cubes and dimensions. If the underlying computer hardware can support it, you can install multiple instances of Analysis Services on the same computer and configure each instance to use a different deployment mode. Remember that Analysis Services is a resource intensive application. Deploying multiple instances on the same system is recommended only for high-end servers. Please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg471594.aspx

Thanks,
    Eileen

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Eileen Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by pmdci Wednesday, December 3, 2014 11:33 PM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:02 AM