none
SSIS Variables tab missing RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed VS 2015 Community followed by SQL Data Tools, both downloaded from here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt204009.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

The problem is when I’m trying to develop a SSIS package. I can see SSIS Toolbox OK, but I can’t open the Variables tab/window. I go to the SSIS menu and click Variables, but the tab does not open anywhere on the IDE.

I’ve tried using the “Import and Export Settings Wizard” to reset as “Business Intelligence Settings”. It responds with the following:
    Your settings were reset, but there were some errors.

Error 1:  An error occurred while importing settings for 'Window Layouts' [code 5616].

This is a real pain, because without access to Variables SSIS is pretty much useless.

Jim Brown

Saturday, July 23, 2016 4:00 PM

Answers

• none of those suggestions on that link helped.

However I happen to have another workstation available. On it I installed JUST the SQL Data Tools (i.e. without VS Community). From there I was able to open the Variable tab OK. So I exported the settings from there and imported on my original machine with the problem. Now I can see the Variables tab there too.

The problem with this is you need another workstation OR get someone else to export a settings file.

Jim Brown

• Proposed as answer by Seif Wang Monday, July 25, 2016 2:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by JimBrown08322 Monday, July 25, 2016 11:13 AM
    Sunday, July 24, 2016 12:50 PM

All replies

• https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/9f796417-5dd9-4829-8a30-5871500b30d4/visual-studio-2010-professional-importexport-settings-not-working?forum=vssetup

Please click Mark As Answer if my post helped.

Sunday, July 24, 2016 6:40 AM
  • none of those suggestions on that link helped.

However I happen to have another workstation available. On it I installed JUST the SQL Data Tools (i.e. without VS Community). From there I was able to open the Variable tab OK. So I exported the settings from there and imported on my original machine with the problem. Now I can see the Variables tab there too.

The problem with this is you need another workstation OR get someone else to export a settings file.

Jim Brown

• Proposed as answer by Seif Wang Monday, July 25, 2016 2:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by JimBrown08322 Monday, July 25, 2016 11:13 AM
    Sunday, July 24, 2016 12:50 PM
  • Hello Jim,

I ran into a similar problem on my personal laptop. I have SQL Server 2016 developer edition on my machine and I have Visual Studio 2015 on my machine as well. I am a data analyst and a heavy R user so right Visual Studio is set to RTVS. I want to do some SSIS work so I need the SSDT setting.

So if I understand you correctly I need to ask someone who has that SSDT setting on their machine to export it to me? Does it matter what version of  SQL Server they have?

I want to start using Python Tools for Visual Studio also. So it looks like I am going to have to do the same with that as well. Thanks in advance for your help!

Monday, November 28, 2016 11:14 PM
  • Can't say for sure. But I would think just being the same VS Data Tools version would work.

I may be able to help as I still have that install I describe in my original message.

Jim Brown

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 12:27 AM
  • OK, did that export and uploaded to my OneDrive. Here is a link. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtGP4S0FXLds-0s-Ek0Po4MAHXQb

Jim Brown

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 12:48 AM
  • Thanks Jim for your help! It worked great!
    Sunday, December 25, 2016 4:14 AM