none
Switch From Same Publisher-Distributor To Remote Distributor RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I wanted to kindly ask if it's possible to switch from an already-working Transactional Replication where the Publisher is the same as the Distributor, to a setup where the Distributor will be a completely new, dedicated machine?

(of course, I'm interested in doing this without having to drop everything and re-create from the scratch)

The ideal acceptance criteria would be, I guess, to add a new Distributor, somehow re-direct everything to it, and shut all the elements of the previous Replication down.

(but the thing is that I have never done this before so am not sure if this is even possible)

I am in no hurry, so dropping everything and re-creating is also an option if everything else fails, but it'd be nice to know if there is an option to do the switch (as painlessly as possible).

With thanks and kind regards,

Bogdan

Monday, August 5, 2019 11:07 AM

Answers

• It is not possible to do this without dropping and recreating your subscriptions and publications. You may be able to do no-sync subscriptions so you do not need to send down the snapshots again.
    • Marked as answer by BogdanU Monday, August 5, 2019 12:08 PM
    Monday, August 5, 2019 11:45 AM

All replies

• It is not possible to do this without dropping and recreating your subscriptions and publications. You may be able to do no-sync subscriptions so you do not need to send down the snapshots again.
    • Marked as answer by BogdanU Monday, August 5, 2019 12:08 PM
    Monday, August 5, 2019 11:45 AM
  • Hello, Hilary.

Thank you for the fast and helpful answer.

Since it sounds to me that the only benefit of no_sync would be the time I save for the snapshots, I'll go and re-create everything.

With thanks and kind regards,

Bogdan

Monday, August 5, 2019 12:08 PM
  • No sync (sync type of replication support only) saves you time on generating the snapshot and applying it on the subscriber(s).
    Tuesday, August 6, 2019 2:11 PM
  • Understood, and thank you very much.

With kind regards,

Bogdan

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 2:14 PM