none
SQL Server 2005 Reboot

Question

• I have seen conflicting views on this....

Should a sql server 2005 machine be rebooted periodically?  If yes, why?  How often?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:30 PM

Answers

• There is no reason to periodically reboot SQL Server.  If you are having an issue which rebooting fixes, that is a symptom of another problem.

However, you should be installing Windows OS and SQL patches regularly, and they usually require rebooting the server.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:41 PM

All replies

• There is no reason to periodically reboot SQL Server.  If you are having an issue which rebooting fixes, that is a symptom of another problem.

However, you should be installing Windows OS and SQL patches regularly, and they usually require rebooting the server.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:41 PM
  • SQL is providing high availability of many mission critical application. I don't see any place where its is mentioned that SQL should be rebooted regularly. If there, please post the link and we need to get clarity from the author.

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/blakhani
    Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverfaq
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:46 PM
  • What if it hasn't been rebooted since 1/9/2011, is there still no reason to reboot it?

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:46 PM
  • I do not recommend it, but I have had SQL Servers running continuously for over 300 days.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:52 PM
  • no need to reboot the server unless you do OS and SQL patching

Friday, April 15, 2011 4:14 AM