none
SQL Server could not find the specified named instance (ADMINDB)

Question

• That is the error message I get whenever I try to start up my computer recently.
    It started happening a few days ago..And this errors either delays my start up at the desktop -
    Volume Manager, Audio Manager, Internet Network Manager, and Graphics Card Manager icons seems to load at the bottom right corner of the screen, but then it takes an extra one minute or so to load MSN etc..
    The computer does not freeze or slow down though, during that one minute or so.

Last night when I restarted my computer it would go to the Welcome screen, turn black, and then just freeze there..Although the red working/busy light on my CPU does not start flashing or go on. Fortunately my computer has started up today..Along with that error..

My computer is a Windows XP Pro
    The full message of the error is:

SQL Server could not find the specified named instance (ADMINDB) - please specify the name of an existing instance on the invocation of sqlservr.exe.
    If you believe this device has been tampered with, please reinstall the program.

Not sure about that last line, but it was something like that..

Thanks in advance to anybody to will help.
    Tuesday, January 01, 2008 10:01 PM

All replies

• You will probably get more assistance if you post this issue to a general SQL Server forum, as opposed to this SQL Server Integratoin Services forum.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 11:49 PM
  • Ah ok thanks,
    Wednesday, January 02, 2008 12:26 AM
  • Hi JLee,

did you see if the named instance is "on" within services snap in ?

the named instance should be something like: MSSQL$IstanceName

i hope it helps you

tell me you have problems

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 3:34 AM
  •  Fabio Fernandes wrote:

Hi JLee,

did you see if the named instance is "on" within services snap in ?

the named instance should be something like: MSSQL$IstanceName

i hope it helps you

tell me you have problems

I'm sorry..
    I don't quite understand what you're talking about??
    Thursday, January 03, 2008 2:28 AM
  • JLee which sql server version are you using?

if 2005,

Open SQL Server Surface Configuration and check in Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections that the database service and sql agent service are started.

if 2000,

Open the sql service manager and also check that the database and sql agent services are runnning.

Do this first and let us know what you find.
    hth
    Pace
    Thursday, January 03, 2008 9:35 AM
  • JLee,

some application is trying to connect to a sql server instance,

but, for some reason, the instance isnt being loaded.

To solve this specific problem, you should first try to understand if

the sql server service for ADMINDB instance is started under administrative tools->service.

If the service is stopped, you can start it and put the startup type as "automatic".

i hope it helps you

Thursday, January 03, 2008 3:47 PM
  • Hmm..I'm completely new to this SQL manager thing..I had never even heard of it until this error showed up..
    I'm not even sure how to open it..I can't seem to find any .exe files in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server,
    I did a search and I tried to open sqlservr.exe, but it gave me a:
    "SQL Server could not find the specified named instance (MSSQLSERVER) - please specify the name of an existing instance on the invocation of sqlservr.exe.
    If you believe this device has been tampered with, please reinstall the program."

This is starting to get more and more confusing..
    I think I had SQL Server 2000, and yesterday I downloaded and tried to install SQLServer2005SP2-KB921896-x86-ENU, when I got up to the actual installation part..
    The MSXML 6.0 Parser's update status displayed: Failure,
    And also an error came up with Hotfix.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Maybe somebody could just give me instructions on how or where to uninstall the SQL Server,
    And then where I could download (?) and reinstall it again?
    I think that would be the simplest way out of this dilema..

Thanks once again in advance guys.
    Thursday, January 03, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Hi JLee,

i did not understand if you tried the easiest way, so:

If you want to uninstall SQL Server you need to go to start --> Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs , select SQL Server, and uninstall it

you can download SQL Server Express Edition easily from www.microsoft.com

bests regards
    Friday, January 04, 2008 12:07 AM
  • Hmm..
    The problem is, in the Add or Remove Programs, it does not have SQL Server listed in it.
    Is there a special program I could use to uninstall SQL Sever?
    Or should I just outright delete the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server file?
    If I do the latter option, what problems could it cause?

I will most likely download an install file for SQL Server after I uninstall/delete it.
    Friday, January 04, 2008 7:32 PM
  • Are there something inside the folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server" ?

If there is nothing, you should try to install it again and restore the old sql server 

instance (if it still exists), or install another one,

because probably your current installation is corrupted. If it is true,

you will need to repair it by running the install again.

Saturday, January 05, 2008 6:38 PM
  • Yes there is still some files in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server, but either way I still think it is corrupted.

Can somebody please direct me to the page of which to download the SQL Server?
    Sunday, January 06, 2008 9:17 PM