none
High memory usage RRS feed

• Question

• We have 3 SQL 2012 instances in a box.The memory size is 512 GB and max memory has been kept to these instances as 167GB.

2 instances are using  171 GB and 98% memory is utilized.I didn't find any transactions in these 3 instances and CPU utilization is normal.Reporting services are using under 1GB memory.

I have checked 'RING_BUFFER_RESOURCE_MONITOR' and shown as 0 for indicator process  for below.

resuorce_memryphy_high
    physical mem low
    virtula mem low

Kindly advice how to solve this memory issue.

Monday, May 7, 2018 10:55 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Which issue do you mean? It's quite normal behaviour of SQL Server to take as much Memory as it Needs and as it can get, see Memory Management Architecture Guide

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, May 7, 2018 11:25 AM
  • Max Server memory does not control all SQL Server memory consumed.  It is perfectly normal for SQL Server to use more than the max server memory setting.  It is also not a problem to have 98% of RAM used.  That means you are not wasting RAM.

Are you having an actual problem?

Monday, May 7, 2018 11:32 AM
  • Just looking at resource monitor and seeing few resource_memory_high and low does not means you have memory pressure. Have you set min server memory for any of these instances. DONT look at task manager that is liar and does not gives correct memory utilization.

Run select * from sys.dm_os_process_memory on each instance and post output also let me know min server memory for each instance

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, May 7, 2018 2:41 PM
  • Problem actual ?
    Monday, May 7, 2018 2:55 PM