SSMS 17.3: cannot modify font and colors settings for text editor RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Options -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> Show settings for

At least "Text editor" is missing there, and probably some others as well.

Installation repair, settings reset -> no effect.

Regards, Pavel

Friday, October 13, 2017 12:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The best solution I tried, that install SSMS 17.2  and then install "SQL Server Management Studio 17.3 upgrade Package(upgrades 17.x to 17.3)" 

Best Regards,

Muhammad

• Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pavel A. Oleinikov Thursday, October 19, 2017 9:25 AM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 8:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Pavel A. Oleinikov,

Have you met a similar problem on other version of SSMS like 17.2 or just meeting it after upgrading to SSMS 17.3? SSMS uses Visual Studio shell (integrated) redistributable package as basement, you can try to reinstall SSMS 17.3 and this package.

Besides, you can set these settings on another machine and export these settings to a file, then import this file to this machine, you can export and import the setting by using Environment > Import and Export Settings. If this method cannot help you and reinstalling can reproduce this problem again, I suggest you opening a case in https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support<br/> Please remember to click &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click &quot;Unmark as Answer&quot; if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact <a href="mailto:MSDNFSF@microsoft.com">MSDNFSF@microsoft.com</a>.

Monday, October 16, 2017 5:16 AM
  • Hi,

I tried to repair the SSMS itself and VS 2015 Shell separately -> no effect. Unfortunately I don't have an another machine just now. And jep, I can open a case there. Thanks.

BR Pavel

Monday, October 16, 2017 7:17 AM
  • Perfect
    Monday, October 16, 2017 7:24 AM
  • Hi,

The best solution I tried, that install SSMS 17.2  and then install "SQL Server Management Studio 17.3 upgrade Package(upgrades 17.x to 17.3)" 

Best Regards,

Muhammad

• Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pavel A. Oleinikov Thursday, October 19, 2017 9:25 AM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 8:35 PM
  • Am I the only one who experiences this bug? (on freshly installed windows!) I tried to import settings from SSMS related to MS SQL 2014, still no effect, but it might be too old.

BR Pavel

Thursday, October 19, 2017 7:28 AM
  • Hi Pavel A. Oleinikov,

For SSMS 17.3, I did not meet other people meeting this problem in this forum, but I have met a similar problem which related to SSMS 16.x many months ago. Finally, that friend solved this problem by reinstalling VS Shell.

In your scenario, you can try to use the method provided by MFathyA or open a connect at  https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 8:33 AM
  • Hello,

I was able to reproduce this issue on another machine, and again on freshly installed Windows (Server 2016 this time). Definitely 17.3 release contains a bug. But uninstalling 17.3, installing 17.2 and upgrading to 17.3 did the trick.

BR Pavel

Thursday, October 19, 2017 9:28 AM
  • No, you are not the only one.  I've been Futzing with this all day; uninstalling, installing, upgrading. Still, I only get four of the Environment options.  As you have posted this back in Octobler, have you come accross a solution?

Thanks, RS

RS

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 10:51 PM
  • I tried this, it didn't work for me.

RS

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 3:37 PM
  • Hi,

it is a very mystical thing. Tried 3 times actually the same (repairing VS 2015 Shell, removing 2017.3, installing 2017.2 and then upgrading to 2017.3). First and second attempts were unsuccessful, but the third one did the trick. Unfortunately I can't tell more.

BR Pavel

Thursday, December 7, 2017 7:04 AM
  • Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issue. Just installed SSMS 17.3 on a fresh Windows 10 machine, and I can't see the Text Editor or many others in the "Show settings for" list.

Sunday, December 10, 2017 9:20 AM
  • I'm another sucker with the same problem.

No solutions yet?

I'm on Win 10 Pro.

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 14.0.17277.0

Monday, August 27, 2018 2:05 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with 17.9.1 on Windows 2012R2.  There are NO SQL related windows in the Show Settings for Drop-down list.  Is this ever going to get fixed?  We can't be the only people who want to change the font size in our query and result windows.

Ann Weber

Thursday, December 20, 2018 3:02 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Please open a feedback at https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 21, 2018 1:08 AM
  • The solution described in the link below worked for me.

https://blog.greglow.com/2019/04/11/sql-fix-missing-font-options-in-sql-server-management-studio-ssms-17-x/

But I had to also install SSMS 18.1 alongside 17.9.1 to get a copy of this Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.rll file. After following the instructions, all the options in Font and Colors reappeared even without restarting SSMS.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 5:24 PM