none
Multiple sql server versions on the same PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello !

For several reasons , I need to have on the same Pc , these sql server editions :

- Sql server 2005

- Sql server 2005 express

- Sql server 2008R2

- Sql server 2008R2 Express

- Sql server 2016

- Sql server 2016 express

I've read somewhere that this scenario can be possible using named instance.

But I have several questions :

1) Which editions to install first , second ... last ?

2) What options should I select and  install for each sql server version ( I mean should I install only the database engine or all options  ) ?

3) Which version of SQL server management studio  should I install in order to manage databases on all editions ?

Thank you !

Monday, August 1, 2016 6:53 PM

Answers

• Hi dcode25,

Based on my test and experience, I will share the result given by my test.

Firstly, for the first question, we don't need to care about the order of installation and we can install them randomly.

Secondly, for the second question, the components in all versions of SQL Server are different, you can Install whatever components you want to use.

Besides, other components will not be upgraded when install a higher version of SQL Server.

Thirdly, for the third question, Please use SQL Server 2016 Management Studio to manage all versions of database because SQL Server support backward compatibility.

What’s more, please increase the physical memory size if you want to use the six instance in parallel.

Regards,
    Teige
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 9:32 AM

All replies

• I do this all the time. OK I don't have 2005 going at the moment. Yes you use named instances to keep them straight.

As a matter of principal I have always tried to install the oldest versions first. This mimics how this might naturally happen. Any shared components (like the SQL Server Browser Service) will always get upgraded to a newer version. I don't risk downgrading some shared component. (That shouldn't ever happen but I like to be paranoid. And I do occasionally install older versions and haven't had trouble.)

I typically leave the my recent version as the default instance but that's not really necessary.

Install whatever components you want to use.

Use the latest version of Management Studio https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/mt238290.aspx. That way it understands the options of all the versions.

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

Monday, August 1, 2016 10:10 PM
  • I do this all the time. OK I don't have 2005 going at the moment. Yes you use named instances to keep them straight.

As a matter of principal I have always tried to install the oldest versions first. This mimics how this might naturally happen. Any shared components (like the SQL Server Browser Service) will always get upgraded to a newer version. I don't risk downgrading some shared component. (That shouldn't ever happen but I like to be paranoid. And I do occasionally install older versions and haven't had trouble.)

I typically leave the my recent version as the default instance but that's not really necessary.

Install whatever components you want to use.

Use the latest version of Management Studio https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/mt238290.aspx. That way it understands the options of all the versions.

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

Thank you !

Ok , so following your suggestion , the install order will be : 2005 , 2005 express , 2008R2 , 2008R2 express, 2016 , 2016 Express.

But what about the components ,I can install all the components that I want ? But for example if a choose all the options and components when install the 2005 version , when I install the 2008R2 and also choose all the existing options , is there a possibility that  some components get upgraded. Does these upgraded components work with 2005 version or only with 2008R2 ? The same problem when I install the 2016 version ??

Monday, August 1, 2016 11:13 PM
  • Hi Dcode,

You can install all of the above on a machine. but you did not mention on which operating system would you like to install.

Sql server 2005, Sql server 2008R2, Sql server 2016  these comes in different editions like standard, developer, enterprise, datacentre etc. you need to choose your required edition.

As long as your OS meets the prerequirements you can install in any order.

2) What options should I select and  install for each sql server version ( I mean should I install only the database engine or all options  ) ?

Again this is your requirement. if you want engine only or SSIS, SSRS, SSAS you need to decide. Again OS requirements should meet to successfully install.

3) Which version of SQL server management studio  should I install in order to manage databases on all editions

you can always connect engine of lower compatibility to the SSMS of higher compatability. not vice versa.

so if you install SSMS 2016 you  can connect to all databases. I have not tried SSMS 2016 to 2005 engine if it does not work you still can use SSMS 2008 R2 on the same machine.

Finally need lots of disk space and RAM to run all of the above list. you can live by disabling services and use only what is required.

Good luck

Kumar

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 12:04 AM
  • Hi Dcode,

You can install all of the above on a machine. but you did not mention on which operating system would you like to install.

Sql server 2005, Sql server 2008R2, Sql server 2016  these comes in different editions like standard, developer, enterprise, datacentre etc. you need to choose your required edition.

As long as your OS meets the prerequirements you can install in any order.

Again this is your requirement. if you want engine only or SSIS, SSRS, SSAS you need to decide. Again OS requirements should meet to successfully install.

3) Which version of SQL server management studio  should I install in order to manage databases on all editions

you can always connect engine of lower compatibility to the SSMS of higher compatability. not vice versa.

so if you install SSMS 2016 you  can connect to all databases. I have not tried SSMS 2016 to 2005 engine if it does not work you still can use SSMS 2008 R2 on the same machine.

Finally need lots of disk space and RAM to run all of the above list. you can live by disabling services and use only what is required.

Good luck

Kumar

1) And what about the express versions because you have not mentioned in your install order ? ( I need the standard and the express version for 2005 , 2008R2 and 2016 )

2) But I've read that except the database engine , other components  will be upgraded when install a higher version of sql server. If this is true , can these components works with lower sql server version ?

(About OS , I have windows 7 x64 and 32GB of RAM .)

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 12:32 AM
  • Hi dcode25,

Based on my test and experience, I will share the result given by my test.

Firstly, for the first question, we don't need to care about the order of installation and we can install them randomly.

Secondly, for the second question, the components in all versions of SQL Server are different, you can Install whatever components you want to use.

Besides, other components will not be upgraded when install a higher version of SQL Server.

Thirdly, for the third question, Please use SQL Server 2016 Management Studio to manage all versions of database because SQL Server support backward compatibility.

What’s more, please increase the physical memory size if you want to use the six instance in parallel.

Regards,
    Teige
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 9:32 AM