none
Sample Database for Sql Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• All,  I am trying to install the sample database AdventureWorks or Wide World Importers.  The samples download as a pdf with a .bak extension...It will not restore because it doesn't recognize the file.  I can't find any other sample with an extension for SQL Server. Can you assist please? 
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 10:12 PM

All replies

• Adventureworks databases in various forms here. Did you try any of these? 
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 10:25 PM
  • And World Wide Importers here along with overview here
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 10:27 PM
  • I did try these...they kept downloading as a pdf file
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 11:23 PM
  • When I click on the Adventureworks2016.bak link, that downloads a backup file to my download directory (using Chrome). I can also rt-click on the link and choose the "Save as" option to do exactly the same thing. I don't know what browser you use nor how it is configured but it seems something on your side is not working. Not certain how you know that the file saved is a PDF with a .bak extension. And what exactly does "it will not restore ..." mean. Perhaps you have accidentally associated the .bak extension with the wrong application? And restoring a backup file should be done using the backup feature of SSMS - don't try to launch a "backup" by double-clicking on the backup file. 

Another possibility is that you have some sort of antivirus or security software that intercepts downloads from "unkown" locations. 

• Edited by scott_morris-ga Wednesday, February 27, 2019 1:52 AM added security s/w possibility
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 1:39 AM
  • I am using mozilla.  I don't doubt that it be the culprit but I don't know how to correct this.  When I download any other file such as a setup.exe file for another program; I don't have a problem.  Just this file with the .bak extension.  I have downloaded older the sample file Adventureworks2012 with no problem. I tried using another browser; Explorer but it still downloads in my download folder as a pdf.  I am at a lost.

Jennifer Scott

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 2:33 AM
  • You said "download as a pdf with .bak extension". Please explain how you know that the file is a PDF file. 

You also said "will not restore because it doesn't recognize the file". Please explain what "it" refers to. And explain how "it" does not recognize the file. How do you know this? An error message? 

If you have an older version of adventureworks you can probably still use it (depending on the version you are currently using). There is a zip file for adventureworks that contains a build script and CSV files for import. Maybe that will work. Without context it is difficult to provide useful information. Perhaps you have colleagues that can help you get everything running for you.  

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 1:57 PM
  • I have heard of this before. That is, .bak being associated with Acrobat. Don't know how it happens.

The good new is that you can just ignore it. You should be able to restore the database through the UI in SSMS, but then again, you can also use T-SQL:

RESTORE DATABASE AdventureWorks FROM DISK 'C:\temp\AdventureWorks.bak'
    WITH MOVE 'AdventureWorks' TO 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER\Data\AdventureWorks.mdf',
    MOVE 'AdventureWorks_log' TO 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER\Data\AdventureWorks.ldf'

Some notes:

• The file path after DISK depends on where you downloaded it. But SQL Server needs to have read permission, which it may not have in your personal folder, so you may need to move the file.
    • The name after MOVE depends on the version of AdventureWorks you downloaded. You can use RESTORE FILELISTONLY FROM DISK = '<same as above>' to get the actual names. I would expect them to start with AdventureWorks.
    • The file paths after TO is where you want the database files to be located. The path I gave is for a default instance of SQL 2016. You may have to adjust it.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 10:06 PM